User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: daughter aged 12 hypothyroidism

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Hi again littleLiz;
    i think my daughter started having thyroid problems when she was about 9 years old, up til then she was slim and quite tall compared to her classmates. then the weight went on.especially noticable on her wrists, she stopped growing and found PE really hard, she started being sick in the middle of the night because (i think) she was so constipated. her hair started to come out ,we were told she had alopica(sorry -cant spell!) .at no time were blood tests taken, i was told that her hair would hopefully grow back and that i should be grateful that she didn`t have something more serious. (thanks Doc). she had time off school because she felt so sick all the time and so tired, she always complained that something ached. i think the school thought that i was one of those mums that let their kids have time off without a good reason. in the end i went again to the doctors just before she was 12 and demanded a blood test , i had looked up all the symtoms and told the doctor that i thought it was her thyroid that was causing all the problems,the rest is history! i just wish the doctors had thought about her thyroid 3 years earlier, nevermind ,such is life!

Country
    UK
    littleliz; forgot to mention, i do ask my daughter to help around the house and with shopping etc (as i do my other kids), she doesn`t really go out with friends much(possibly partly because she never really mastered the bike riding) but has alot at school and has gainned alot of confidence since starting secondary school. i do let her join any club etc that she wants to but ,like any mum i`m ready in the background to fight her corner ,if she needs me!we`ll give the coconut oil a try, thanks. i bought a few books which list foods etc that can and dont help your thyroid so we`re trying to eat the best things we can to help .we are both alot more positve now and hearing your story does really help us both, so thankyou for that.

1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Rolleyes Doctors eh!

Doctors eh! and people wonder why I dont like them very much ha ha ha. Good job you had the nouse to work out for yourself what the problem was. You sound a really nice Mum!

My sister also has thyroid problems (only for the last few years) and when she went to the doctor, she told them look, Ive got blah blah blah symptoms which I think is caused by my thyroid....they did not beleive her and she had to insist they did the blood test! She was right and the doctor was all suprised LOL. But she had seen it all with me so knew exactly what it was.

I dont particulaly do the whole eating for thyroid health myself. Well I do a bit...It certainly cant do any harm. Are you eating seaweed, cutting down on cruciferous veg, avoiding soya and throwing away the toothpaste....that sort of thing?

I wish there was more activity on this forum...it all seems a bit slow at the moment doesnt it?

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    @littleliz

Sorry to be off-topic but if you could bring more members and contributors in then I'll open the registration page again.

We had quite active forum but lack of contribution is making it dead.

I am sorry but I dont get enough time to contribute but I can pop in once or twice a day......I struggle to stop spam being on me own.

@Thyroid Guy is always up for help but we need more people in.

Country
    UK
    Hi again, eating for thyroid... well we do have seaweed ...with the chinese takeaway! i`ve read the books , dont eat or drink this and eat loads of that , we do try to eat a bit more healthier but to be honest its more like everything in moderation isn`t it? do you go out of your way to avoid any foods? or drinks?

1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Sorry Mike I wasnt having a pop at you or anyone. I was just venting my feelings! The site here is fantastic! It is just dissappointing that there is not more support.

Regarding eating for thyroid.....no I dont really stick to any hard fast rules. I do try to eat healthyish. I will be continuing with the cocnut oil. Although I am aware of cabbage, cauliflower etc as being not thyroid friendly I personally think that they offer too many other benefits to take them off the menu completly plus cauliflower cheese is my favourite! I try to avoid soya most of the time but I dont take kelp (heard scary stuff about it). If I had the money I deffinatly would choose all organic but it is more expensive so dream on eh!
    How are things going for you two at the moment? Have you found a big difference since starting the meds? I remember the first things were warm hands and feet( happened almost instantly)...and dreaming! .....and shivering when I went out in the cold LOL. Oh and feeling hungry! That was pretty cool. I had not had an appetite for a long long time and ate like an anorexic fly. Gagged while eating. Often threw up! especially on a cold day, so to fancy food and enjoy eating it was bliss. These are probably silly irelevant things but they are the things that I noticed first. The soft skin, hair growing in and belly dissappearing, took a while longer LOL.

Big hugs for you both!

Country
    UK
    Hi ,changes ?? well for me ..not a lot really alittle less achey,oh and going to the loo more often! i guess that helps with the weight lose!! i do feel a bit better in my self though, happier and less stressed i suppose. emma , well she `s grown for starters she`s lost weight and doesn`t throw up in the middle of the night for no apparent reason any more. she`s happier and more confident at home and at school and has a mop of hair . all good for both of us really , a bit tired lately but i think it`s a end of term thing. looking forward to 6 weeks rest!

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense