User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sonja is our latest member!

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Country
    England
    Hi Patchy
    From what I've read, the saliva test is regarded as the Gold Standard for cotisol testing. I haven't found anywhere in UK which offers it. Would you let me have details of where & when you had it done please? Did you do it via the post? May I also ask how much it cost?

What is Level 2 Adrenal Fatigue? Is this a universal scale of measurement or just from your testing company/laboratory?

Sorry for ALL these questions!!
    Regards
    Sonja

Country
    England
    Hi Mike
    New Year's Eve I was partying and fit as a fiddle; 03rd January I was confined to bed for 48 hours only able to wake up long enough to pee, eat something and go straight back to bed and sleep! During the days following this collapse I was averaging 18 out of 24 hours asleep but gradually over a couple of weeks recovered enough to continue to work my usual two and a half days per week and return to the gym and my running group. However both my running and gym activities were compromised and I dropped out of my running group about end of Feb when it was too embarrassingly clear that instead of getting better and being able to keep up, I was getting worse and lagging ever-further behind. ALL extra-curricular/social activities stopped immediately I became ill and I concentrated only on being able to work and keep fit (lol)!

Having dropped the group running, I continued to go to the gym and try to build back up to my pre-illness regime. I had been running with friends for between 6-10 miles once a week and training twice a week (2-3 hours each time) at the gym. My gym work was 50-60 mins in total of stretching (I was extremely supple and flexible), 45 mins running (mix of speed & hills) and approx 20 mins each of free weights, resistance and abdominals. By anyone's standards I was a fit woman! Unfortunately each time I have gone to the gym, my ability to perform has decreased. I am especially disappointed that even my stretching ability has withered pathetically. Before, I could sit with my legs spread, hands on feet and lean forward to rest my head on the floor. Now I can only just SIT in that position and have no forward movement at all! As I said, I can now barely brisk walk for 20 mins before having to stop through exhaustion.

In June I had another collapse as above and although this lasted for a week, it was not quite as bad (in the sense of being bed-ridden) as the first one but I was still sleeping and eating for England. Noteably in both these episodes, I put on half a stone in weight in each episode and in the space of one week.

I was diagnosed as borderline hypothyroid in February and put on Levothyroxine. This gave me occasional windows of hope that I was improving but the windows didn't remain open for long and my deterioration continued. I switched to natural dessicated porcine thyroid (Armour) in July and again had windows of improvement but continued to decline. I upped my dosage to 4 and a half grains but have decided today to cut back to 3 because everything I read says that I may be contributing to my adrenal problem by over-dosing on the thyroid tablets when they are clearly not working.

My latest symptoms are further and continuing exhaustion and now aching all over like I have 25% flu. Especially worrying to me is that these aches extend into my armpits and lymph glands. I don't know why this particularly worries me - but it does!! Possibly because a friend of mine had breast cancer and her lymph glands in her arm pit had to be removed so it's probably a bit of a hypocondriac thing to me.

I had a blood test a couple of months ago which said that my cortisol level was low. I think my GP said it was 164 (but I have no idea what the OK range is) and the lab which tested it wrote back to GP suggesting the Short Synacthen Test. I'm having that next Friday with the Consultant Bio Chemist with whom I have an appointment the following Tues. I'm very concerned to hear that it's not reliable because I'm putting all my faith in this Consultant and her ability to send me home with a pill which will return me to normal!

The short answer to your question of why I think I have AF is that I'm not responding (in fact the opposite) to hypothyroid treatment and seem to have most of the symptoms of AF with the notable exception that I do NOT suffer frequent illnesses.

Sorry to burble on so much ...
    Regards,
    Sonja

Country
    England
    Hi Guy
    I've not done any of this blogging/forum/chatting/posting stuff before and wonder what much of it means i.e. "reply with quote"? I've been amazed that whatever I've typed has obviously got into the atmosphere somewhere because I've had replies! However please accept my apologies in advance if I breach some manners' protocol or something as I don't really know what I'm doing ... Don't suppose there is a "Forum Familiarisation For Dummies" is there? lol.
    Regards
    Sonja

Baby Moderator Achievements:

Country
    UK
    hi @Sonja , havent had any internet so sorry for the delay, the details you want are- the red apple clinic
    26 summerhill ave
    newport
    np19 8fp
    01633 262772
    i paid 103.13

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense