User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coconut oil: Can it cure hypothyroidism? - Discuss

Junior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Re: Coconut oil: Can it cure hypothyroidism? - Discuss

As usual I've forgotten all about it Dawn I'm far too busy being hot and vengeful

Went to the doctor and ranted at him about my symptoms and he sent me away with antibiotic eye drops, more of which I get in my mouth than in my eyes

for reminding me,

clemenzina

Country
    UK

I bought coconut oil from iherb.com - the Money Saving Expert site recommended it for its quality, for its price, and for the supplier's reliability. I can certainly recommend the supplier but I've only used the CO for frying a few things like onions (it seems to have a high burning point and sizzles nicely) and eggs/bacon, but it has a definite flavour that I'm trying to get used to.

It's probably going to be wasted, therapeutically

clemenzina

1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

I have not tried it yet...never actually seen it anywhere! Does anyone know if they sell it in Holland and Barrat? I have read all sorts of good stuff about coconut oil and know I came accross lots of smoothie recipies on the net with it in but not sure where now. If I find them I will post a link here.

If coconut oil is good for you then is eating the coconut flesh not just as good? Sorry for my ignorance but I have no idea if coconut oil is extracted from the actual coconut or from the tree or what LOL.

Country
    UK

I bought a big tub from http://www.iherb.com (Holland & Barrett's version doesn't claim to be cold pressed so apparently is not recommended, it could be that heating oil changes its properties, especially of the fats) but I keep forgetting I've got it. I believe there's something about coconut oil's saturated fats (medium-chain fatty acids) that is very good for one.

There is a huge thread on Money Saving Expert (I don't envy you ploughing through it but I'm too rusty to be trusted on the facts):

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho ... oconut+oil

From my own experience I found it a superb shallow frying medium, but it does have a slight sweet coconutty flavour so you'd either have to get used to it or save it for curries, or maybe ratatouille style dishes.

clemenzina

1 year registered1000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Just bought some 'cold pressed virgin coconut oil' - tried some on a spoon, bit like eating coconut flavoured lard lol! I think I'll stick to using it for stir-frys. I love that we're supposed to be eating saturated fats and more salt - two things I love & one of the plus sides to being hypothyroid . How do you add smilies?

Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by sunflower
    Just bought some 'cold pressed virgin coconut oil' - tried some on a spoon, bit like eating coconut flavoured lard

I wonder... what about mashing Green & Black's cocoa powder into it... cocoa is "good for you", lots of antioxidants, G&B's is organic. Maybe we could make it taste and feel like gooey chocolate, with judicious add-ins

Any more ideas?

clemenzina

1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    I have started taking a teaspoon of this each morning...I havnt really noticed much difference in my energy levels (maybe a bit). I like cocnut oil dissolved in half a cup of warm water with juice of half a lemon and a raw egg mixed together thoroughly. It sounds horrible but if tastes lovely! Well it tastes good if you like lemon curd!

I do use it on my skin after a bath to. I think it works better than moisteriser.

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense