User Tag List

Poll: What do you take for Hypothyrodism?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What everyone takes for their treatment? Please Vote

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Re: What everyone takes for their treatment?

Dawn what are your folate, ferritin and B12 readings if you don't mind me asking. Have they been checked lately? I know that thyroid can cause breathlessness, but so can B12 deficiency. also dizziness and bumping into things.

Do you supplement B12 at all? Are you aware that B12, folate and ferritin must all be in balance to be effective? If the blood is not right it won't carry the T3 to the cells effectively. The high WBC count is suspicious too.

B12 deficiency and/or Pernicious anaemia is a forgotten disease as far as doctors are concerned, they just do not think of it, but this can mimic MS, Stroke, Heart Disease and other vascular problems. As in thyroid
    disease, when the doctor says you are "in range" or "normal" that is not necessarily the optimum level for you and thyroid disease is a well known depleter of B12

Baby Moderator Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Posting AwardDiscussion Ender

Country
    UK

Hi Ginny hon
    No not lately they haven't been tested. The falling to one side and dizziness and stuff tended to subside when I went on armour, the breathlessness is the ongoing problem.
    At the outset last year I managed to get the doc to test them and while I was in range they b12 would have been considered low in Japan. I did take it for a long time sprayed under my tongue then got some sublingual but it didn't seem to make a great difference overall. I took the folate at 400 per day and I do take iron/vit C tablets. However getting the Dr to test again is an uphill battle darnit. Arguing for all these tests just makes me very very tired, and oft times when refused very very tearful .
    I have to go to see the Dr at some time soon as my back is bent and the pain around my back and ribs is horrendous so I will try to get a different doc and ask him for the tests.
    I know the balance is crucial but I am having to treat myself and go by how I feel most of the time, its dodgy at best but I have no choice as they said my thyroid was 'controlled' and there was nothing wrong with me. Well for someone who was ok I was in a right state. As far as I am aware my intrincic factor was ok. I am aware that the tests are not always accurate though. So, what to do, keep taking the tablets?

thanks Ginny
    lotsa luv
    Dawnx
    ''If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.'' The Cheshire Cat, Alice in Wonderland

Country
    UK

Yes Dawn, I think you should keep taking the tablets. The range in Japan starts at 500 so I guess you would be under that mark: everyone has their own levels and some people never ever get above 4-500 even with injections but optimally you need to be between 500 and l500. There is not a lot of point in re-testing once you are on supplements though, they are only vitamins and you can monitor yourself with no danger of overdosing as B vitamins are all water soluble

The sublinguals are best if you cant get injections and as for not feeling much different well it can take a year or more. I have never felt any benefit from my injections over the last eight years, but my levels are now at 1400+ I have Pernicious Anaemia

400 ug folate is good, that's what I take even though my levels were halfway in the range. I used to have a very sore mouth with frequent ulcers, but since taking folate ( B9)I have only had soreness for one day

Ferritin levels should be up around 90 optimally, though the haemachromotosis folk don't like to see it above
    50. You know of course that the iron should be taken well away from thyroid meds.

Your doctor sounds as if he went to the same training school as mine

Baby Moderator Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Posting AwardDiscussion Ender

Country
    UK

Your doctor sounds as if he went to the same training school as mine
    Highly possible hon, there are many it seems with that in common.
    I think my ferritin hangs around 50-60 to be honest. My haem is not towards the top of the range and I have high RBC? wierd stuff going on in my body.

I get worry about the haemocromothingy with not getting many tests and taking supplements. My MCV says my rbc are quite small which isn't really condusive to B12 deficiency so I am lost there lol.

lotsa luv hon
    Dawnx
    ''If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.'' The Cheshire Cat, Alice in Wonderland

Country
    UK

Well your ferritin levels sound quite reasonable Dawn, mine were 167 (11-307) so I don't think you need
    worry much about haemochromatosis with your levels - and I do not take any ferritin although I do eat
    meat and liver and eggs, but then again because I have PA and Coeliac disease I cannot absorb well from
    foods.

Well, it was just a thought , but do consider taking the B12 again, if you can afford it, it cant do any harm.

thumbup

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Could someone please explain to me the difference between 'generic' thyroxine and products like Eltroxin - thanks.

Is it the experience of people here that they do better on a branded product?

I have recently gone from thyroxine alone - mine is marked 'Numark' on the pack and 'Teva' on the pack notes - to thyroxine + T3 (liothyronine). I am feeling better but still have aches and pains.

I was diagnosed hypothyroid aged less than 1 year and spent 27 years of my life on natural thyroid, growing up with normal intelligence. How CAN the doctors now say that synthetic is better and refuse us the right to have it prescribed on the NHS we pay for.

When I started taking the T3, endocrinologist said drop T4 to 150mcg from 250mcg per day but this drop was too big, I was feeling very sluggish again and back up to 200mcg which is helping.

I see my new GP for first time on Monday. Previous one has spent last 2 1/2 years telling me that there was nothting else he could offer me and refusing to give me T3 tests, until I joined TPA-UK and learned a few things. I demanded to see an endocrinologist, wish so much I had found all this help before. My former GP should be struck off, I don't even think he would recognise someone else who was hypothyroid and he made no attempt to find out anything about it so he could treat me more effectively. After endo appt, it took 3 weeks to get new prescription to my GP and I had to phone hospital myself and insist that they faxed through info because GP refused to take it from me that they had changed it.

At the height of my recent depressive incident all he could offer me was anti-depressants, never thought about the effect of the hypo and I had to become suicidal before I was referred to local Mental Health and got some 'talking therapy' support which has been hugely helpful. Mental Health services are very hung up on anti-depressant medications and don't look much at other physical conditions that might be a contributing factor to depression. Will write more in the depression section later.

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

I am sorry to hear your problems but this is typical attitude of all GPs and that's how they run this practice. It's better to learn and take control of things otherwise just relying on their word would take you straight to hell.

There is no difference but the binders which hold the hormones together and let it dissolve in your stomach. Different manufacturer use different binders and different people react differently to different binders (I know too much repetition). So if you are taking Teva brand, it's better to stick to it as changing the brand may have binders which wont dissolve easily in your system which will need compensating by increasing your thyroxine dose. Hope it makes sense :d

Now Eltroxin is brand and it will use some specific ingredients which no one else is allowed to produce. Generic thyroxine is use any binders with thyroxine which but those will be different to Eltroxin.

Not all the binders are bad but some people's system doesnt like certain binders and vice versa. I switched from generic to Eltroxin purely because everytime I was getting different name generic thyroxine and I wasn't very happy with that. Did I feel any difference? I dont know as I was already in crisis of thyroid! It's been more than a year and I am still on Eltroxin. May be I'll try to switch to a generic one day for experiment but not sure when.

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense