Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/thyroid/public_html/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1038: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4835: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4837: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4838: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4839: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4844: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
ThyroidHelp.org • New test results - why do I still feel bad?? : Hypothyroidism

New test results - why do I still feel bad??

Statistics say every 1 in 5 is suffering from hypothyroidism. Post your questions if you have hypo condition and are suffering from it due to thyroid removal

New test results - why do I still feel bad??

Unread postby glitterbug86 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:19 pm

Sorry in advance for the length of this....
________________________________________ _________________________

Diagnosed with hypothyroidism last August by family planning clinic (result below). Symptoms - sudden 20lb weight gain (from 120lbs to 140lbs), periods abruptly stopped, depression, fatigue, very emotional.

AUGUST 2009
TSH: 10.2 (0.27 - 4.2)
FT4: 7.2 (10.5 - 22.0)

Tests redone by GP (result below) and was started on 50mcg eltroxin (levothyroxine).

SEPTEMBER 2009
TSH 5.11 (0.27 - 4.2)
FT4: 8.2 (10.5 - 22.0)

6 weeks later I was retested (result below). The numbers were "perfect" according to dr. I still felt the same and a couple of weeks later increased my own dosage to 75mcg with the plan of seeing a new dr for next blood test.

OCTOBER 2009
TSH 2 (0.27 - 4.2)
FT4: 15.9 (10.5 - 22.0)

Went to a new dr. Diagnosed as malnourished (I was eating 800 cals a day for a couple of months in order to not gain any more weight. I did not lose any weight in this time). She sent me away for a month to eat more and said she'd then check thyroid levels. She didnt seem to think it had anything to do with the thyroid anymore - that I was in "starvation mode". I did start to eat more - healthy - but no where near as much as before all this started. Went back to her after a month (gained another 8lbs in this time of eating more). She has referred me to an endo and a nutritionist, may be quite a while before appointment though. Got the testb results yesterday (result below): She also checked for aneamia (which I'm not) and antibodies (these reults arn't in yet).

FEBRUARY 2010
TSH 0.39 (0.27 - 4.2)
FT4: 16.3 (10.5 - 22.0)
FT3 5.3 (2.8 - 6.5)

Even to me these results look good... why don't I feel good??? I'm not quite as tired but the weight, depression etc is still the same. I didn't even used to be "the crying type" but now i cry almost every day. I'm in my final year of college and can't take any more of this. I have only one pair of trousers that fit me. And they are maternity pants. The little money I have is gone on doctors. I know it may sound dramatic and selfish but I really feel suicidal. Please somebody offer some advice, i don't know where to go from here.
glitterbug86
Thyroid Newbie
Thyroid Newbie

GBP - £££: 32
Donate
Blog: View Blog (0)

Sponsor Links

Re: New test results - why do I still feel bad??

Unread postby Mike » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:16 pm

Well glitterbug86, you should stop thinking negatively and look at the brighter side. First of all, your thyroid levels were not good but within a few months, you've brought those to the proper range which means your body function is at least not broken and things are working as they should be. Like your TSH dropping down when your FT4 goes up.

You've to give a bit of time to these thyroid medication as your condition will improve but very slowly. It wont happen within weeks but might take a few good months so keep the good faith.

Now in terms of depression and weight gain, I am not quite an expert but there might be other reasons as well behind these two so you've to speak to your Endo. Do you exercise regularly, doesnt have to be in the gym but like walking etc? Have you had any check on your adrenals as they person with adrenal fatigue may struggle to gain or loose weight....or diabetes??
Please note we have moved our forums and new forums are located at http://www.thyroidhelp.org
Mike
Admin
Admin

GBP - £££: 740
Donate
Blog: View Blog (6)

Unread postby glitterbug86 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:57 pm

I know I may sound very negative but I feel I've tried to be very positive... I just dont feel like my tablets are working but blood tests show they are so I feel hopeless. I understand the effects of medication are supposed to be slow but I can't feel any progress at all. I would prefer if my numbers wern't so good - that would at least justify me not feelin better so I could expect improvements. My levels have been back in the normal range since October - thats 4 months ago.

Then of course people come to the conclusion that it must be all in my head or that I eat too much etc etc. I know exercise also comes into it but even if i sat on my ass all day there is no way I could be eating enough to maintain a 30lb gain, let alone add to it! I don't do any heavy exercise but I walk 45 mins a day, 5 days a week. I used to do this 3/4 times a week and feel benefit from it. Now i just do it to do it.

When I quit smoking this time last year i gained 10lbs (through eating too much). I lost that no problem over about 2 months, in a sustainable way. At the time a couple of people actually said I'd gotten too skinny. Now I eat far far less than what I ate back then. I just keep gaining. Im sick of not being able to eat "normal". I didnt even have any christmas dinner this year.

I havn't had adrenals checked. I dont think that's an accepted disgnosis here.. I have only found 1 doctor who does treat this but he is 300 miles away and very expensive. I dont even care about that but i'm in my final year of college, not working and only get a small grant - literally all of which has gone on doctors so far. I don't know much about diabetes though I had a random glucose test dont a few months back which was fine.

I know I sound incredibly negative, even as I read this back. I'm just miserable and feel stuck. Believe me, I don't choose to feel as I do. I don't really have any other outlet for this/people to talk to so I suppose all my thoughts come flooding out here. I don't know.
glitterbug86
Thyroid Newbie
Thyroid Newbie

Donate

Unread postby patchy boy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:10 pm

sorry to hear that you feel so down , really your not alone have you read the book your thyroid and how to keep it healthy by dr.barry durrant-peatfield. it is a wonderful book and you may find some of the answers you need in there i got my copy from amazon. :smile:
Please note we have moved our forums and new forums are located at http://www.thyroidhelp.org
patchy boy
Baby Girl
Baby Girl

GBP - £££: 581
Donate

Unread postby Mike » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:26 pm

Where are you based? If US then there are plenty of labs there to get a test done. Do it youself, i t's quite simple and saliva test. If results come back bad then see a doctor or else you know medication of thyroxine will work eventually.

Have a read here too and good luck thumbup

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/adrenal-info/faq/

http://forums.realthyroidhelp.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8098#p73223
Mike
Admin
Admin

GBP - £££: 740
Donate
Blog: View Blog (6)

Unread postby glitterbug86 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:51 pm

Mike - I am in Ireland. I realise I could get an adrenal saliva test done through an online lab but I have only found one doctor in this country who actually acknowledges adrenal fatigue/will prescribe desiccated thyroid. Thats not to say that he is the only doctor in the country who would treat adrenal fatigue - but the number would certainly be limited and he is the only one I can find. With him, you actually do the adrenal saliva test through an online lab anyways and also a stool test. The adrenal test alone isn't that expensive but coupled with the stool test, and price of appointment with this doctor (initial app with him is about 5 times regular price of an appointment) its just money I simply dont have at the moment. I guess maybe I could do the adrenal test online myself and then maybe see him when I can but I think for the lab he uses I need some kind of referal or something?

At the moment I am seeing a doctor who is also a medical herbalist. I thought it was worth a shot seeing her as she may be a little more open minded than my first doctor who just wanted to prescribe me antidepressants. I have been refered to an endo and nutritionist (to introduce more food, not less) and am waiting to find out appointment dates.

I came across the STTM and realthyroidhelp sites back when I was first diagnosed and was scared by some of the stuff they were saying but chose to ignore it and have belief that i would feel better with levothyroxine in time. Really steered clear hoping the stuff on there was wrong. Thank you for the links on the adrenals though, I will have a read of that.

Patchy boy - thank you for your message and kind words. I havn't read that book but am sure I have come across the title before. I will look into it.

Thank you both for the replies
glitterbug86
Thyroid Newbie
Thyroid Newbie

Donate

Unread postby anni » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:04 pm

Hi G
Is it straight hypo or are you auto-immune - is it Hash? If it is, one can develop many auto-immune conditions, many of which leave one feeling sick even if blood results seem ok. I am in the middle of finding out that I have about 5 auto-immune conditions. It has taken over 2 years but I am finding some answers. Hpe yo fuind some soon. Best wishes, anni
anni
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GBP - £££: 348
Donate

Unread postby glitterbug86 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:00 pm

Hi Anni,

I'm sorry I only saw your reply now! I guess it is autoimmune - I had TPO checked last month for the first time (diagnosed August). It came back 414 (norm <60).

Wow, 5 autoimmune conditions. I'm sorry to hear that, its a lot! But I guess at least you are getting answers as you said. Definate progress. When I was first diagnosed I had a range of blood tests done. Nearly all were normal. Apart from thyroid, I had high total protein, LUC's, and low Hct, MCV and MCH. Was put on ferritin for that for a month. Fine now. Also had c-reactive protein tested last month, fine.

I know one autoimmune disease puts you at higher risk for others but I don't really feel I have specific symptoms of anything else (from looking it up, but what do I know!). I have my first app with an endo in June. Im hoping for some kind of progress then. My own doc let me go fom 75mcg to 100mcg aswell in the past couple of weeks, not that I really needed to based on bloods but you never know.

If you dont mind me asking, what are the other autoimmune diseases you have/may have? And what was your experience symptom wise with them?

Sharon happy1
glitterbug86
Thyroid Newbie
Thyroid Newbie

Donate

Unread postby patchy boy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:37 pm

i had thyroid antibodies mine were 1000 normal range 0-50 so i guess im at risk of auto immune conditions too.
patchy boy
Baby Girl
Baby Girl

GBP - £££: 581
Donate

Return to Hypothyroidism