User Tag List

Thread: Grave's Disease

Junior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    India

Grave's Disease

Grave's disease is a form of severe hyperthyroidism. The general characteristics are:

1. Exophthalmos or propping eyeballs with feeling of grittiness in eyes. (See the image below)

2. Pretibial myxedema, in which there is thickening and drying of skin over the shin bone.

Patients have slight to moderate enlargement of thyroid gland also.

Under laboratory evaluation, a special type of antibodies are found that cause this disease. These are known as thyroid-stimulating antibodies, and work to act like thyroid stimulating hormone, causing excessively active thyroid gland and hyperthyroidism.

The condition is fully reversible if treatment is started in time.

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Re: Grave's Disease

Oh dear God...this is so scary.

It's not reversible if it's extreme but with operation only or else steroids do the job.

Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    India

Quote Originally Posted by SiD
    Oh dear God...this is so scary.

It's not reversible if it's extreme but with operation only or else steroids do the job.
    Yes, in extreme cases the condition becomes irreversible (especially the eye changes). In moderate cases, a special kind of radiation therapy is used to treat eye changes. Steroids are to be given in high doses along with that.

For very severe cases, orbital decompression surgery may save the vision, though double vision that develops due to eye changes often persists postoperatively.

Senior Member Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class1000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Nice photo, that is good incentive to ensure that you get treatment as early as possible to avoid any permanent disfigurement to your beautiful face.

1 year registered1000 Experience Points

My first TSH blood test indicated that my level was 0.005, and T4 was doubled the high end of normal and T3 was triple the high end. I found all of this out in the last month.
    I had been treating my symptoms (heart palpitations,tremoring, weight loss, extreme heat intolerance, insomnia, dizzyness) with an acupuncturist, having some minor positive results, and decided to have a panel of blood tests run anyway. So I chose an MD (GP), who is from China and also knowledgeable in herbal medicine and acupuncture. After I had an ultrasound, with no nodules and only mild enlargement, (no eye bulging) she prescribed Tapazole. I was diagnosed as having Graves Disease.I also was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis 35 yrs. ago.
    I started the generic form, Methimazole @ 10 mg 1x daily. I also started taking an herbal formula from Evergreen Herbs in Nevada, which Dr. Yang approved. I'm supposed to up the Methimazole to 20 mg this Friday.
    I've heard that sometimes the hyper turns to hypo....can this happen in Graves?
    What does the Methimazole do to the thyroid?
    I read a post by RIC, who suggested to someone that they see an Endocronologist. Is this always the best move? I don't have health insurance....
    Thank you, I'm fairly clueless.
    hummer3

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense