User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Relation between Thyroid and post partum depression

Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    United States

Relation between Thyroid and post partum depression

Are there any relation between postpartum depression and thyroid activity? Some women tend to complain about postpartum depression after child birth. Thyroid function is also known to be affected during child birth. Low thyroid functions can cause depression. Are these two related?

Member Achievements:

Country
    United States

Re: Relation between Thyroid and post partum depression

That certainly appears to be the indications according to this 2007 study conducted by the University of North Carolina in the States. They suggest further investigation into the connection.

We previously found significantly higher T3-resin uptake and nearly significantly lower total thyroxine concentrations at 38 weeks of pregnancy in women with higher postpartum depression ratings. This study further examined the relationship between thyroid status during late pregnancy and antenatal and postpartum depression scores.

Thyroid measures were obtained at 32-35, 36, and 37 weeks of pregnancy in 31 women with normal range thyroid hormone levels. Subjects rated their mood at these antenatal time points and every other week between postpartum weeks 2 and 24 on the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale and the Beck Depression Inventory. Mean antenatal thyroxine concentrations and free thyroxine indices correlated significantly and negatively with mean depression scores during each of three postpartum time periods (postpartum weeks 2-6, 14-18, 20-24).

Women with total and free thyroxine concentrations that were, respectively, <10.1mug/dl and <1.06ng/dl at all three antenatal time points had significantly higher mean depression scores during all postpartum time periods. The fraction of subjects with pregravid major or minor depression history that was in the low antenatal thyroid group was significantly higher than the fraction of subjects with negative history (5/6 vs. 7/25).

Women with antenatal total and free thyroxine concentrations in the lower euthyroid range may be at greater risk of developing postpartum depressive symptoms. Study of the relationships with antenatal thyroid status may provide new insights into the pathophysiology of perinatal mood disturbances.
    Source page

Member Achievements:

Country
    United States

I was just expressing my doubts about that possibility. Now that is been proven already. Savannah for sharing the link.

Junior Member Achievements:

I agree with both the posts. The link is very important to undestand the relationship between thyroid and PPD.

One other interesting fact is that there is something called "correlation" with PPD. "Correlation" means that if there was the history of prenatal depression in the patient (including any other time, other than pregnancy, or even if any close relative has history of PPD), then there CAN be postnatal depression. Does it lead to consider that PPD is hereditary? Well, until now, this relation (PPD being hereditary) is not fully established but only suspected.

Senior Member Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class1000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

In another Thread we were debating whether thyroid problems were more unique to women, now we have another element here - pregnancy. I'm guessing that if you are found to have a serious thyroid problem during pregnancy there is very little you can do as far as treatment goes until after delivery?

The disease is directly concerned with pregnant women so besides medication they also need psychological treatment.

Baby Moderator Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Posting AwardDiscussion Ender

Country
    UK

I don't understand DrNathaniel, if it is to do with physiology what bit of that would warrant the psychological treatment? I am very wary of the 'talking' therapys through being a thryoid patient who was under many phychiatrists and a couple of psychologists. They did me no good and it was because my physiological condition was not being properly addressed that I manifested psychological symptoms.
    Actually a very able nurse I once know said that if certain hormones were given to women after giving birth there would be no post natal depression problems. However I haven't researched into this so I really don't know.

lotsa luv
    Dawnx
    ''If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.'' The Cheshire Cat, Alice in Wonderland

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense