User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight gain In Women and Hypothyroidism

Junior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Weight gain In Women and Hypothyroidism

Women often ask their doctors when confronted with abnormal weight gain, "Doctor, is it due to my thyroid?"

And, the invariable answer is always, "Yes, it could be."

As we now know, metabolism is basically controlled by thyroid and regulates the calorie consumption. Thyroid also works along with other important body mechanisms like the neurotransmitters, adrenal glands, and the reproductive glands. In fact, the thyroid is dependent for its health on these mechanisms.

As the basal metabolic rate becomes low due to the under activity of the thyroid gland which is also known as hypothyroidism, the effects seen are gain in body weight which is also hard to lose. The weight gain due to hypothyroidism is not noticed in some women, but generally the weight gain is pronounced in the majority of women. The thyroid gland itself is affected first in most of its disorders including hypothyroidism, and they stay unnoticed until broader symptoms appear. As seen elsewhere, the drastic changes in the female body are pronounced during the hormonal imbalance stages like adolescence, pregnancy, and menopause. Hence, the thyroid disorders, menopausal syndrome, and weight gain often appear together.

There are these other reasons too:
    • Women tend to go through cycles of eating more and dieting. These frequent changes in the diet pattern also affects the hormonal secretions and can cause overweight.
      Women also undergo body and hormonal changes during the menstrual periods. These also affect the hormonal secretions.
      Women undergo a lot of stress and many eat more sweets and food rich in carbohydrates which can also cause conditions of overweight.

In such cases, consulting your doctor is very important. The doctor can order a thyroid test or measure the TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone). Even a small rise in the TSH can influence the metabolism and cause gain in weight.

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Re: Weight gain In Women and Hypothyroidism

Very good information.

Though I have had thyroid issues for more than 5 years, never had weight gaining problems. My weight has been constant at around 70Kg for a while now

Member Achievements:

Country
    United States

As said in the post, it is applicable only for certain women. I know this from the case of my niece whose thyroid is under performing. She is definitely under weight for her age. Another thing pertaining especially to her case is that she was born premature.

Junior Member Achievements:

Overweight is an effect! It is because of the inactivity and the reduced metabolism, chiefly due to the lethargy and inactivity caused by the inactive thyroid.

Dear SiD, you could also have been quite active and taking good care of yourself in spite of the hypothyroidism condition. Diet, proper variety of the diet can also play a great part in either being overweight or normal weight even in this condition.

As you well know, any disorder can be controlled by emotional health, by correct diet, and by following correct lifestyle guidelines. The medication on its own cannot control the disorder, any disorder, if it is not assisted by the above three factors.

Baby Moderator Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Posting AwardDiscussion Ender

Country
    UK

Though I have had thyroid issues for more than 5 years, never had weight gaining problems. My weight has been constant at around 70Kg for a while now
    bleh, people like you make me sooo MAD LOL, but I am glad for you.

As you well know, any disorder can be controlled by emotional health, by correct diet, and by following correct lifestyle guidelines.
    Disagree

The medication on its own cannot control the disorder, any disorder, if it is not assisted by the above three factors.
    Agreed

Hehe
    lotsa luv
    Dawnx
    ''If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.'' The Cheshire Cat, Alice in Wonderland

Administrator Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

Baby Moderator Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Posting AwardDiscussion Ender

Country
    UK

LOL I know Ric
    I had a great lifestyle till I gradually got worse with this darn disease, makes yer wanna spit, and of course eat a nice snack to comfort yourself l
    Actually believe many of the cravings are the bodies way of saying we need certain nutrients we are not absorbing.
    lotsa luv
    Dawnx
    ''If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.'' The Cheshire Cat, Alice in Wonderland

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense