User Tag List

Thread: Thyroid Disease and Women

Junior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thyroid Disease and Women

A study in the US (National Graves' Foundation) has shown that the women are more prone to be affected by the thyroid disease than men. The study also shows that there are more than 13 million Americans affected by thyroid disease, and the ratio inclines more towards women.

Many women do not recognize early enough that they have the thyroid dysfunction. They are prone to, or are at particularly high risk of having thyroid disorder after a childbirth. To cite a few very common symptoms that could be overlooked are the fatigue and depression. These symptoms are commonly found in women after childbirth, but these are the very symptoms that point to some underlying thyroid dysfunction. These symptoms that could then be detected are grossly overlooked routinely as general routinely arising symptoms that occur after any childbirth.

Will continue...

Veteran1000 Experience Points

Re: Thyroid Disease and Women

Continued...

The thyroid gland is very important and controls each cell's rate of function that includes growth and metabolism. Without the help of a healthy thyroid, you cannot enjoy overall health! So, thyroid is very important to both men and women.

It is seen that women have a greater tendency to suffer from thyroid dysfunction, more so than in men. The women are especially prone to suffer from hypothyroidism, a process of low hormonal secretions of the thyroid gland that directly affects the growth and metabolism of their body in general. It is still a mystery to even the advanced medical science, why this happens especially in women. It could be due to the interaction between the reproductive hormones (estrogen and progesterone) and thyroid hormonal secretions.

It could also be due to the fact that women go tremendous changes in their bodies including their mind during the adolescence period, pregnancy, and peri-menopause (around the time of menopause), while men do not have such drastic changes in their lives.

1 year registered1000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Re: Thyroid Disease and Women

I completely agree with symptoms being overlooked after pregnancy, I had lots of the underactive symptoms since '06 and then many disappeared while pregnant. I then had my baby in august and surprise surprise the symptoms seemed to creep back into my system. The Dr put the hair loss, tiredness, lack of energy weight gain all down to having the baby (despite me saying I'd had these symptoms since '06). I also mentioned how I'd had blood results that were fluctuating between underactive and normal. So I had another blood test anyway, and it wasn't normal. Got a call from the health centre to say it's overactive and the Dr wants to see me now to discuss drugs!

(Also other Dr's put my stress down to being an undergraduate student - yet I had no symptoms while pregnant and writing up my Masters dissertation! How strange...NOT). They always made me feel like a hypochondriac, ignoring all other symptoms that weren't stress.

I really hate going to the Dr's in fear they're going to just tell me I am fat because I am lazy or something...

1 year registered500 Experience Points

Country
    India
    Many women do not recognize early enough that they have the thyroid dysfunction A study in the US has shown that the women are more prone to be affected by the thyroid disease than men

lose lower stomach fat
    get a flat stomach fast
    lose lower belly fat

3 months registered250 Experience Points

Country
    Australia
    I have read all the the thread except the last post at the bottom which is mere copy of one of the above posts.
    I was shocked to know that thyroid dysfunction would effect our body so seriously than any other organ of our body.

Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Country
    United States
    The thyroid gland regulates metabolism. Hypothyroidism is very common in women, and can be detected with a blood test. Once detected, treatment is very successful. Signs and symptoms vary; speak to your doctor if you think you have a thyroid condition.
    Lethargy

Decreased energy is one of the most common symptoms of low thyroid function. Fatigue and tiredness persist despite adequate sleep.
    Cold Intolerance

An inability to tolerate cold may indicate hypothyroidism. If you are often cold when others aren't, consider seeing your doctor
    Muscle Pain, Stiffness And Cramping

Muscle pain is often associated with low thyroid; symptoms can be severe.
    Constipation

Chronic constipation can be caused by low thyroid; digestion is slowed due to the condition, and constipation is the result.

Weight Gain

Hypothyroidism can cause unexplained weight gain. The lethargy and low energy associated with the condition can increase weight, too.
    Hair And Skin Problems

o Hair and skin problems are a common symptom of poor thyroid function. Hair growth and oil secretion are affected by thyroid hormone, and malfunction can cause hair loss, pale skin and easy bruising

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense