User Tag List

Thread: Diagnosed with subclinical and really confused

Junior Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class

Country
    United States

Diagnosed with subclinical and really confused

Hello all,

Some background info about me - I'm 25 (female), I just had a baby 6 1/2 months ago and I developed chest pains that led me to the doctor. My cholesterol was tested, and I also had a thyroid panel and TSH test taken. My TSH was 6.34 (I believe this is the right way to put it, if not I apologize) which I was told was elevated. However my doctor told me that my T3 and T4 levels were normal. She diagnosed me with subclinical hypothyroidism and started me on levothyroxine 100mcg.

I thought that 100mcg of levothyroxine would be abnormal to start, but found that due to my lack of history with hypothyroidism and me being young (also my weight was taken into account since I'm 220lbs) that it was a normal-ish dose to be started with.

So, questions:
    *My doctor seems to be relatively new and inexperienced with a lot of things just as a PCP. Should I find an endocrinologist? I'm thinking I should so I have someone specialized to better manage this.

*I'm pretty scared.. I never had any medical problems prior to becoming pregnant. Is the prognosis good? Will I live a long and happy life? I know this is a silly question and I apologize, I'm just not quite sure what to think about everything. I've gotten an overabundance of information in the last few days.

I went from super healthy to feeling like crap all of a sudden for what seemed like no reason. I'm terrified of needles, and now have to have my blood drawn all of the time. My doctor told me that if I didn't start the levothyroxine, I could potentially suffer infertility. Because I'm getting the muscle pains, and have high cholesterol (never had before), overall feeling crappy, I decided to take it. I've gained a lot of weight in the past few months post child birth as well, and had no idea why as my eating habits were good and I was exercising. I suppose all of this is related.

Sorry for the rant! It's nice to get all of this out.

Moderator Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Country
    Croatia
    sometimes endos are bad as any other doctors. it just matter of luck on how good doctor you'll end up with.
    you'll live long with thyroid issues but happy....well, no one can say that, i'm feeling crappy for last 7 months.
    your problems might related to pregnancy, nothing else i can say to help you now.
    good luck

Junior Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class

Country
    United States
    Thank you. I'll give it some time with my PCP and speak to her about the possibility of seeing an endo in 4 weeks when I see my PCP next. I get my next blood panel done in 8 weeks, and they're checking for antibodies then as well (doing it all at once due to my current fear of needles, sure that'll go away though). My little one was born on 5/21, and I was checked for thyroid problems while pregnant but everything came back normal - as far as I know. My OB never mentioned anything at least.

How long does it generally take to get to the proper dose of levothyroxine?

Moderator Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Country
    Croatia
    it depends, that's the MAIN ISSUE with thyroid. Nothing is SURE! it depends on individual, it depends on your body.

hey're checking for antibodies then as well (doing it all at once due to my current fear of needles, sure that'll go away though).
    that's good, don't be scared, it's the same when they do tsh and ft4 test. (at least here in croatia)

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense