User Tag List

View Poll Results: Have any of you experienced mental symptoms with your thyroid?

Voters
7. This poll is closed
  • Yes

5 71.43%
  • No

1 14.29%
  • Yes, it went away

0 0%
  • No, never went away

1 14.29%

Thread: Is depression the cause of my hypothyroidism? or the other way around????????

Junior Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered

Country
    United States

Promotion Is depression the cause of my hypothyroidism? or the other way around????????

Ok, hopefully you guys can help me make some sense of this. At age 15/16 I started to get really depressed for no reason at all. At 17, I got diagnosed with depression and went on lexapro twice and stopped them twice without a doctor because I felt so terrible taking them. Then at 19, I went to the ER. because of breathing issues and found out I had an under active thyroid. Things then turned for the worse, I got bad anxiety. fear/paranoia, high and lows, memory loss, brain fog and extreme fatigue, weight gain and so many many more symptoms physically and mentally. My life drastically changed. I thought I was depressed before? was I ever wrong.
    I spent time going to doctor to doctor, being told it's all in my head and needed antidepressants. I noticed thyroid symptoms when I was a teen, like ibs and my eyebrows thinning at the edges and etc.
    Now I'm on 88 mcg, I've just been switched from 75 mcg, my new doctor found out that I was being under treated for two years.
    My main question is could me stopping the antidepressants have caused my thyroid disease? I was only on them for one or two months each time I stopped.
    My Dad has hyper but he says he got that from an injury so he doesn't know how I got it.
    Could thyroid disease cause all of these mental symptoms or are these two separate things? pls let me know your opinion because I've been wreaking my brain.

Moderator Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Country
    Croatia
    it is possible.
    are you sad because of something? if you are fine (in your head i mean ) than it is your thyroid.
    my endo. also say its in your head - all i want is to get up in the morning full of energy so i can spend the day like normal people, like i used to.
    those doctors, it seems all they want is to get rid of us
    Last edited by Z_interactive; 20th September 2012 at 08:42 AM.

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense