User Tag List

Thread: Thyroid test results - help us understand

Junior Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class

Country
    UK

Question Thyroid test results - help us understand

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and am posting on behalf of my Mum who recently received her Thyroid results.

It all started about 6 months ago when she was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and was subsequently prescribed metformin pills. Around the same time my mums hair started falling out and she has since looked and tried to change some of the things we thought COULD have caused the hairloss. Everything from giving herself time for her body to adjust to the new diet (no carbs etc), vitamin B/biotin supplements, biotin infused shampoos and changing from normal metformin to metformin extended-release.

None of which stopped the hairloss.

Further research suggested it could be a thyroid issue so she recently had a thyroid test and I have attached her results below. I believe, from research she should be most concerned about "Free T3", which I think is indicated as "serum free triiodothyronine level" in the beolow report. As I don't know what is abormal, it's difficult to read anything from this ourselves.

The doc did suggest (or, tentatively diagnose) her with "Hashimoto Thyroiditis" as her "Thyroid peroxidase antibody level" is above the norm at "696". She has been queued to see an endocrinologist.

Can anyone shed some insight into what exactly this is? If these results might lead to hairloss? And the general treatment of Thyroiditis (if treatable?)? Her research and other symptoms including exhaustion lead her to also believe she may have "adrenal fatigue".

Bearing in mind she's doing as much research as she can since finding out about this, we're still really new to the subject and I myself have found it extremely difficult to understand, so ANY help at all is so very appreciated!

Also, we're from the UK, so that may be why the results/values MAY be different to US ones.. Not sure!

all!

Mike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120717_215535.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	56

Tagger Second Class

Country
    UK
    Hellloooo? Anyone out there???

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    Hi @mikeplus , sorry you had to wait for an answer.

It's difficult to say what may be wrong. Your mum' thyroid levels seem to be perfect which means her body is functioning properly. Rest of the blood tests look good as well apart from antibodies. From experience and as far as I know, antibodies are a complicated business. We dont know the exact reason for their numbers to go up but when they do, it always brings problems. Like your GP said, it's best to see an Endo who will be able to answer your questions.

Hair could fall out for a variety of reasons so it's difficult to say which one is it. It could be due to thyroid or it could be due to something else. I had grave's disease and I used to lose hair all time. Vitamins and Minerals definitely do the trick if rest of the body glands are functioning properly. They wont work if your thyroid is broken or there is another hormonal issue.

Hashimoto means antibodies are attacking your thyroid gland which could result is temporary or permanent damage to it hence it needs to be monitored. I hope its not the case as thyroid results dont look bad at all so antibodies are not causing any damage to it....but then again I am not a doctor or an expect.

Sorry can't help much but that's the best I know. Hopefully someone else can give their expert opinion.

Tagger Second Class

Country
    UK
    Hi Mike,

No need to apologise! I am grateful for such communities and help - it's people like you and communities like this that make a difference and potentially save lives.

My mum is relieved to hear that at first glance you think her Thyroid looks ok from those lab results. She has indeed got an appointment with an endo this fortnight (I forgot exactly when!) and we'll be sure to ask him all the relevant question (and on that note, if you have any recommendations for questions we should ask him/her, please let me know).

Also, after a little investigating, my mum thinks she may have adrenal fatigue... So perhaps, while her thyroid is ok for now, it's the adrenal gland that is playing up, which (I guess) may be having an adverse effect on her antibodies..?

With that in mind, she found Dy Myhill's website and plans to request an Adrenal Stress saliva profile test from there (using Genova Lab). Any comments on both the possibility of her hair-loss issue and high antibody number being related to an adrenal problem? And also any comments on Dy Myhills site/service?

again!

Mike

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    I think it could well be adrenal related. If adrenals are down then you'll feel worse, no matter how good your thyroid is. Different people will suffer from different symptoms and in your mum's case, it's hair loss.

I have used their service before and they are excellent for adrenal saliva test. These tests tend to indicate better results than blood tests hence you have taken the right test. Just be careful as dealing with adrenal glands is not something easy and you certainly dont want to mess with them. Adrenals love Vitamin C, Vitamin B5 and protein so best is to get on with these without waiting for test results.

http://www.drrind.com/therapies/meta...ymptoms-matrix

Have a look at this chart and see if your mum feel she is suffering from thyroid or adrenal issues.

Antibodies.....Like I said no one is an expert on that and everyone has them. Their role is supposed to be attack any foreign object in the body and create resistance. For some strange reason, they start attacking body's own glands and that's where all these disease come from. In past I felt that if I went on very strict diet and avoided wheat, sugar and gluten products, I felt a lot better but then again, it may not be the case for your mum.

I sincerely wish your mum good luck but dont be upset if some of the test results are out of range. It takes a little bit of time with thyroid and adrenals but most people recover alright.

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense