User Tag List

Thread: autimmune disease and thyroid enlighten me please!

Junior Member Achievements:
    Tagger First Class3 months registered500 Experience Points

Country
    Great Britain

autimmune disease and thyroid enlighten me please!

hi guys

thanks for all the advice recently it is much appreciated and has helped my understanding 10 fold .
    i would just like to give an update and to receive more advice! i have been for my latest blood test and my tsh level is now 2.9 so pretty normal! i have been told that i have autoimmune disease! now although i know what it is, what i would like to know is, is everybody who has thyroid problems autoimmune?!

secondly, i have been visiting a chiropractor recently who said to be careful with the results of the blood test because due to the treatment the blood test results may vary greatly and give an inaccurate result. im starting to believe this because i still don't feel an awful lot better ! the doc also advised to cut down on the booze. any comments and advice will be greatly appreciated !

many thanks

graeme x

Tagger First ClassCreated Blog entry3 months registered500 Experience Points

Country
    Great Britain
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by graemeb9803 View Post
    hi guys

thanks for all the advice recently it is much appreciated and has helped my understanding 10 fold .
    i would just like to give an update and to receive more advice! i have been for my latest blood test and my tsh level is now 2.9 so pretty normal! i have been told that i have autoimmune disease! now although i know what it is, what i would like to know is, is everybody who has thyroid problems autoimmune?!

secondly, i have been visiting a chiropractor recently who said to be careful with the results of the blood test because due to the treatment the blood test results may vary greatly and give an inaccurate result. im starting to believe this because i still don't feel an awful lot better ! the doc also advised to cut down on the booze. any comments and advice will be greatly appreciated !

many thanks

graeme x

Hi Graeme,

Graves disease (see wiki, wont let me link the URL for some reason) is an autoimmune disease of the thyroid. The white cells attack the thyroid gland causing hyer or hypo symptoms. Not sure of the causes, but its widely recognised as a factor in 'some' thyroid conditions. Not sure about the chiropractors advice as I dont know what meds he has put you on, some do counteract the thyroxine action. Even hot tea with T3 meds can cause impaired effects (also, taking meds on a full stomach isn't a good idea)
    Booze will always be a good thing to cut back on, but I have found you get a 'taste' for a drink on T3 for some reason. Im still drinking sensibly, but the weekend tipple is now a 'couple' of weekend tipples

Hope all foes well with your treatment.

TN

Country
    Great Britain
    Hi

for your reply. I'm a little confused, isn't Graves disease hyperthyroid only? The reason I ask is because I am underactive with my TSH level being slightly above 10 on my last blood test. My GP says i'm autoimmune which is off the scale apparently. I'm now quite confused what I am in terms of this disease. I'm not on any meds from the Chyro guy, he reckons after an adjustment it can effect my blood results. :-/. Really don't know what to do now

Graeme

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    Hello @graemeb9803 you asking these sort of questions will help other people understand the whole scenario. I was always confused at the start and even though I am still confused, I've got a little understanding about the disease...just a little bit.

In my understanding, autoimmune disease is a generic term describing a disease. It happens when your body defence system attacks it's own cells thinking them as foreign object. Just take an example of common cold. When you get a cold, your body immune system kicks in and tries to kill it and becomes successful after a week or so if you dont take any medicines etc.

With thyroid autoimmune disease, your body's defence system thinks thyroid gland as a foreign object and starts attacking it. When it cannot kill it off, it produces more antibodies to attack more and cycle goes on. Now in some cases, your antibodies go down and your body return to normal (Like my case where I felt normal for a few months and hyper for a couple).

Lets assume antibodies are high and they are attacking your thyroid. Two things can happen, thyroid case start dying slowly and gradually or part of it stops working leading to Hashimoto's. On other side, gland fights back and tries to produce more hormone thinking it'll be producing less due to an attack....this leads to Grave's disease. Both of thyroid diseases are due to same reason but leading to different consequences. With grave's your gland works overtime and if it cannot produce enough hormone, it tries to grow itself leading to all those nodule and lumps etc. With Hashimoto's as part of it starts dying, and body tries to work hard to produce more gland....resulting in bigger thyroid gland or swollen gland.

If someone tells you they know the exact reason for autoimmune disease or know a cure...they are plain lying. No one knows why it happens but this is one of those shit which happen in life

Well hope it helped but if you find something different, do post for us

Country
    Great Britain
    Hi Mike

for your reply.

My GP says that my Thyroid is producing enough hormone, but is having to work extra hard to achieve this. Any idea what that means? :-/. Does it mean I have Graves or Hashimoto? Also, my TSH level is at 2.9. at present which is good. However, I still feel awful with the exact same symptoms. The question is therefore, can you still have symptoms if your TSH is normal?

Graeme

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    It is difficult to say what exactly is going on with your thyroid but your GP could well be right. I am not a doctor so can't comment but in both diseases, thyroid works hard. In Grave's disease you tend to get very low TSH value so I'd presume you have Hashimoto's hence your thyroid trying hard to keep up with TSH number.

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense