User Tag List

Thread: Just changed from T3 to T4 Uuuuuugghhhhh!

Junior Member Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassCreated Blog entry3 months registered500 Experience Points

Country
    Great Britain
    Blog Entries

Help Balloon Just changed from T3 to T4 Uuuuuugghhhhh!

Hi all,

Just googling my condition and came across this site. Seemed to have a very forward thinking attitude. Have had advice on another forum which surmounted to 'take your meds, dont question your doctor' Kind of put me off forum help, till now

Well, lets talk about me
    I had Thyroid cancer back in early 2010. Was medicated on T3 80mgs for a year, found to the end of treatment, I kind of hit a wall of 'odd' fatigue. Changed to T4, the first week or two I thought 'hey! I feel like the old me!'. Then as the T3 totally left my system and the T4 took over, I seem to be grinding to a halt (again!) Put a stone on in a month. My doctor has been informed, he sent a letter, to an Endo, he sent one back ,so for my referral, Im a month behind already I have a 'dull' head most,no every day. Not much energy. Im dosed on 250mg so far.
    I did discussed complimentary therapy with my Oncologist and the reply was 'This isnt America, and it wont be happening whilst you are under my supervision '
    Well, I'll struggle on and hopefully gain some ammunition on here for my next GP visit.

All the best

TN

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    Hello @thyroid nil do you mind me asking how old are you?

So how was thyroid cancer identified and did they remove your thyroid at all? You didnt say if you have any thyroid at all? T3 medications do work and sometimes some people only use T3 as T3 is the active hormone which is responsible for metabolism. Having said that, I have found out from experience if your body lacks T4, you dont feel like yourself. This could be the reason when you had T3 and T4 together (At overlapping stage) you felt better.

The whole body system works on feedback system. Your body has been used to T3 for a while and you suddenly stopped it going on T4 only. Assuming all other body glands and functions are working properly, it'll take sometime to understand T4 only medication and try to convert T4 to T3 when required. Mostly conversion doesnt seem to work that's why people struggle to feel better on T4 only medication.

250mcg is quite heavy dose so I'd imagine you have no thyroid left. I have none as well but I am currently stable on 150mcg. I have experimented from 125mcg to all the way up to 250mcg and have settled for 150mcg.

GP are mostly useless and it's unlikely you'll get any further support from Endo if your bloods come out to be normal. Best is understand your own body system, understand the medications and adjust everything accordingly. Hope it helps but anything else, feel free to ask or start new thread

Country
    Great Britain
    Blog Entries
    Hi Mike,

for the reply.
    Im 39 and have not thyroid at all. They managed to save my parathyroids, so I do not have to take the supplementary calcium. I was no T3 for a years, found as I left hospital -as I still had residual tyhroid hormones in my system post removal- I felt great, then a drop off, and again whan I had the 'lap over' on the meds change.
    Ive reitterated ths to my GP,Oncologist no joy. Ive now got a referral to an Endocrinologist, so hopefully ,I might start getting somewhere

Country
    Great Britain
    Blog Entries
    oh,just to add, Ive managed to put on a stone and a half since the meds change. All in 4-6 weeks.

Senior Member Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class1000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    Hi thyroid nil I've only heard great stories about T3 and it seems to work miracles. Have to be a bit careful with it as it's 4 times stronger than T4 and extremely fast acting. My suggestion would be to talk to your Endo about T4/T3 combined therapy when you see him. Good luck

7 days registered

Country
    Canada
    I had a total thyroidectomy in Oct 2011 and I was also diagnosed with papillary carcinoma. I am on Synthroid right now - 6 weeks since I started 137 mcg. I was gradually decreasing my dose of Cytomel (T3) of 50 mcg per day until I stopped completely first week of April. I was at a point on my Cytomel where I began to lose weight and feel good. Now my weight is coming on fast and furious now that I'm on Sythroid only. I'm also losing clumps of hair. Is this normal? Will this get better and I'll be able to lose weight again soon? How long before Synthroid converts T4 to T3 - I've read it could be 2-3 months. I was always very thin - 110 lbs when I got married 12 years ago. Now I'm having a heck of a time staying at 135 lbs - my weight keeps creeping up above that. Pre-surgery I got up to 141 lbs. Funny thing is my TSH was showing normal - they never checked free T3 or free T4 levels in any of my past physicals. My cancer was an incidental finding last summer when I had a migraine with aura for the first time in my life and my doctor found that odd for a 41 year old woman. They found 5 lumps in my thyroid, one of which was cancerous. I was lucky to have that migraine! So now I'm just trying to be NORMAL again and I'm wondering if 6 months later post-total throidectomy if I'm just being impatient. Any experience/insight on these thyroid meds would be helpful. I haven't had a blood test since I began the Synthroid - I go mid-May. I read a lot about this Armour. Is that even available in Canada??

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense