User Tag List

Thread: My thermostat is broken!

Junior Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class3 months registered250 Experience Points

Country
    UK

My thermostat is broken!

I am 58, Hashimotos for 11 years, on 125/150 mg thryoxine alternate days, and find that the worst side effect I have is frequent over-heating.
    I dread the summer as I find the heat really hard to bear. Sometimes I feel as though I am cooking from the inside and it really affects my quality of life.
    I had thought it was due to the menopause, but when I read the thyroxine leaflet it says flushing, sweating, fever and heat intolerance can be side effects. In desperation I am contemplating self medicating on Naturethroid to see if this eliminates the problem - I wonder if anyone else has experienced similar symptoms and found Naturethroid beneficial in this respect.

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    Hi @dorothy

By your symptoms, I'd take you are intolerant to heating hence you feel quite uncomfortable. I am not sure but hot flushes could be taking excess thyroxine or lower adrenal reserves. Dr Rind has an excellent matrix chart where you can see where your symptoms fall

http://www.drrind.com/therapies/meta...ymptoms-matrix

Naturthroid is an alternative to Armour thyroid but dont forget if you have low adrenals, you'll feel worse with naturethroid. You can do experiment with it by adding small doses to your thyroxine (Yes you can combine these together) to see if it brings any benefits. If you feel better, keep going. If feel worse, stop and go back to your original routine. Nothing to lose but a few bad days

Junior Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class3 months registered250 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Dear Mike
    Many thanks for your helpful suggestions, I will start taking my temperature and see how I get on. It did not occur to me that adrenals might be the problem, I have just got "stop the thyroid madness" and Dr Peatfields book from the library and they recommend taking liquorice root so have ordered some.
    If I have got adrenal fatigue, would synthetic T3 make me worse?
    Incidentally I was really interested to read your piece about vegetarianism and hypothryoidism. I was veggie for about twenty years and wonder if I have unwittingly been the architect of my own thyroid misfortune!! I recently read an article by a journalist, Jon Nicolson, who was vegan and then ditched it in favour of meat and full fat butter etc. He had before and after photos of himself in the article. When he was vegan he looked really puffy in the face, but after giving it up and including meat etc in his diet he looked like a lean mean fighting machine, you literally would not have recognised him at all. It gave me food for thought when I read it. Now I've given up on soy after reading it is not good for your thyroid, I have started eating fish because it's hard to get enough protein otherwise - don't want to eat too much cheese because of the weight issue!

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    That's right @dorothy . Initially when I had thyroid problems and I was reading all thyroid related books, I would close my eyes and skip all chapters related to adrenals, giving myself hope that it's not me....adrenals cant be hurt in my case and it wasn't the case at all. Any sort of T3 is going to hurt as to get T3 into cells, you need cortisol and cortisol is produced in adrenal glands. Having said that, there is an article on STTM site which suggests someone had success with using T3 to recover their adrenals under strict regime.

Veggie diet is not a healthy diet in a way it doesn't provide all essenetial elements (Vitamins and Minerals etc). Best is to keep on veggie diet but include a bit of white meat like fish or poultry. White mean is only protein hence you'll not gain weight when consuming white meat.....the only thing you'll gain is lean meat which is what you need.

Fish is also good source of all essential fatty acid which is what we all thyroid patients need.

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense