Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newie Looking For Help With Questions On Thyroid Issues

Junior Member Achievements:
    Tagger First Class100 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Newie Looking For Help With Questions On Thyroid Issues

Hi all.

I am in my late twenties and have experienced tiredness for a few years and not feeling well, so in 2011 i had my thyroid tested which showed the following (sorry i dont know the order or how to interpret the results so may be a bit mixed up):

antibodies: negative
    TSH: 4.0
    T4: 12.0
    serum tsh level 6.2

Would i be underactive or overactive?

Anyway I had a repeat test a few months later that showed normal... and a few months after that I have noticed one eye is slightly protruding, wonder if that can happen with underactive thyroid or just overactive? Also its one eye and is it true that both eyes donet have to be affected? I also have dry eyes, but as far as i know the slight eye protrusion wont have come from the dry eyes? Also would like to know if sore red burning and stinging of the eyes can happen with thyroid eye disease also, because i wonder if these symptoms are just due to my dry eyes and not thyroid issues or both?

As you can tell i am new and a bit confused by all this. I am not on any meds as yet as my thyroids being checked again to see if my results change from normal as its started off as not normal and then went to normal.
    Also do women with either high or low thyroid levels have difficulty getting pregnant and can thyroid meds affect or damage any babies i may have in the future?

Oh and is having headaches sometimes and feeling sick also symptoms associated with thyroid problems?

all.

Senior Member Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class1000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    Hello lovely @Shellsbells1

The test results you have posted can't be right as TSH and serum TSH is same thing and you have quoted 4 and 6.5....I would guess they were done on different days?

I dont think you are overactive as your TSH is high which means you could be underactive. Eye protruding or bulging eyes is a symptom of overactive thyroid gland or hyperthyroidism hence I am a bit surprised you have got this sypmtom. Gritty eyes, stinging feeling and burning sensation etc....it's all to do with overactive thyroid gland.

Best is to ask for FT3 test as well which may come out higher making you overactive. T3 is the actual hormone which makes you over or underactive....I think lol.

Not sure about pregnancy but I would have thought with so many women underactive, you should be okay just keep doing your blood tests to make sure you dont go underactive.

Country
    UK
    Hi Butterfly and thank you for your reply.

Yeah sorry the first time i was tested my tsh level was 6.2, then a few months later it was at 4.0 as a repeat was done. Now with eye symptoms i am having tests repeated for the second time.

I will ask for my t3 result, also i will be having repeat tests done so hopefully things will be clearer. I have heard that graves can occur in a small percentage of hypo patients.... is this true? I guess my next test results will hopefully clear up any confusion!

Love this forum btw. Such a relief knowing there are others out there willing to help out and reassure others. I must admit I am a tad scared by all this and by the one eye slight protrusion and trying not to worry.
    Last edited by Shellsbells1; 12th April 2012 at 10:28 PM.

Country
    UK
    Oh and what is the normal range for all of the thyroid tests, especially t3? Thank you.

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    @Shellsbells1 You are right, there is a chance that you may be hypo and hyper at the same time. I am not a doctor so couldnt say what's going on with the body. Perhaps a thyroid uptake test will confirm the actual situation.

You could have "Hashitoxicosis" which is swinging between hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism.

Think of this way. Both Hashi (Hypo) and Grave's disease (Hyper) are caused when antibodies in your body attack thyroid gland as foreign object. Thyroid gland tries to produce more thyroid hormones to compensate this. During this situation, gland is sometimes able to produce extra hormones and sometimes it struggles to produce even required hormones hence you keep going back and forth hyper and hypo. It's not a usual case so perhaps you should speak to your GP in detail about this.

If you keep taking your thyroid medication, you should be alright during pregnancy.....that's what I have read but I couldnt say for sure if that's what actually happens. Hopefully things go smoothly for you and then you can write a little about it here so other women in similar situation like you can benefit

If you click on word "TSH" in any post, it'll show you the test ranges.

Typical Thyroid Test Reference Ranges UK

Country
    UK
    Mike!

I was also wondering, do people with eye issues like protrusion, even slight have the issue resolve with medication or is surgery only for extreme cases? Are there any threads discussing this issue and also I am trying to get the docs to give me some scans also just in case and trying to get this issue seen to before it leads to a worse state. .

Country
    UK
    I asked about my t3 results for the previous two test and the nurse said first it was 6.2 then 4 for the first repeat, but thats the same as the tsh, confused!? Or maybe the nurse has got it wrong? At least these new results will hopefully make sense.

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense