User Tag List

Thread: Should my mother be tested for Hashimoto's disease?

Junior Member Achievements:
    Tagger First Class

Country
    UK

Question Should my mother be tested for Hashimoto's disease?

I would like to know it it is worth while my mother (who is 55 years old) getting a blood test for Hashimoto's disease? I will explain my reasoning for this below.
    Recently I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease and to my knowledge a lot of people on my mother's side of the family have suffered from hypothyroidism.
    As of the last few years my mother has developed a list of symptoms that have been diagnosed as fibromyalgia and bi-polar disorder, but to me they just seem like the same symptoms I have suffered with for a long time due to hypothyroidism.
    She has had blood test's, but only a TSH level test which came back as 1.8, from my research I understand it's better to not rely entirely on TSH levels.
    She also shows strong signs of coeliac/celiac disease which also to my understanding can tie in with Hashimoto's disease.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.

~Mark

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    Hello @MarkCW , you are absolutely right. Thyroid disease usually runs in family so one wouldn't be surprised if your mother had it.

If your doctor has ordered TSH test only which is a common practise then he/she is unlikely to order any further thyroid tests unless convinced otherwise. If you have a good relation with him or her, tell 'em that she is suffering from similar symptoms as you so would want to rule out thyroid disease. Best is to order FT3, FT4 and TSH.

Having said that, I think if your mother was suffering from thyroid disease, she would have raised TSH unless her Parathyroid gland is not functioning properly.

Junior Member Achievements:
    Created Blog entry1000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger Second Class

Country
    United States
    Blog Entries
    Test for celiac. Celiac can cause a lot of the symptoms of hypothyroidism (except for weight gain- celiac causes weight loss).

People with normal TSH who have thyroid diseases usually have ones that are difficult to safely treat so it's not worth testing for anything less than very extreme symptoms.

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense