User Tag List

Thread: Having no thyroid - levothyroxine & supplements for weight loss.

Junior Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered

Country
    United States

Having no thyroid - levothyroxine & supplements for weight loss.

Hello,

Since I had my thyroid “deactivated” so to speak by the radio-active pill 15 years ago, I am now reliant completely on levothyroxine for replacement of my normal thyroid levels. My weight has never been the same since, I gain it easily and its hard to take off even with exercise. My levels are fine according to my doctor.

I have looked up supplements to see what might aid or boost my over all metabolism in relation to my thyroid medication. All the thyroid supplements I have read about seem only to be for people who still have their thyroid gland still partially working, were as mine is non-existent.

So my question is for those who are in the same situation, is their a supplement that you use that helps boost your overall metabolism? Is there something out there specifically for those who no longer have a functioning thyroid and can be used in conjunction with levothyroxine? I am looking for something that is stimulant free & no animal thyroid in it.

you.

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    Hello @Thyroidgone and welcome to the forums.

15 years.....that's a long time....mine was done 4 years back and I am still struggling to get stable hormones.

Weight gain and loss indicate that your other glands are working properly and weight is directly connected to thyroid hormones and diet. I am surprised you have asked for other supplements to increase your metabolism as you know that very well.....you are using something which controls your metabolism. Levothyroxine will do what you want and make you loose weight!

Strictly speaking you should increase your thyroxine dosage if you are euthyroid but think of that in this way......you are taking the amounts of thyroxine which your thyroid gland would have produced otherwise. Now increase it a little bit....let's say 12.5mcg or 25mcg........hit the gym and cut down on sugar/salt/saturated fats and you'll be on the cover of next month's "Men's Health" magazine

Junior Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered

Country
    United States
    Mike.

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    You are welcome @Thyroidgone .

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense