User Tag List

Thread: Why does my symptoms seem to be getting worse?

Junior Member Achievements:
    Tagger First Class3 months registered500 Experience Points

Country
    Great Britain

Why does my symptoms seem to be getting worse?

Hi guys

I posted a thread a few weeks ago regarding my underactive thyroid. I'm a 29 yr old male. I was diagnosed about 2 months ago with a slight underactive thyroid, i think the level was 10 whatever that means! My symptoms were blurred vision, and balance problems. The thing is the vision has cleared up, but I now have a constant pressure in the back of my head and up my neck (in the pressure points), the balance problems are still there. The biggest symptom I have now though is extreme tiredness, I can hardly get out of bed. My life feels like it isn't worth living at the moment, its so frustrating, I just want to feel normal. My doc has me on 25mg of Levothyroxine.

Does anyone else feel like this, and what advice would you give.

Graeme

Site Donator Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsTagger First Class

Country
    England
    Not an expert myself but thyroxine has some side effects so perhaps you are feeling those? What I have noticed is whenever you change hormones in your body, it brings some unpleasnt surprises. One symptom goes away and another one comes in!
    Struggling to get my life back!

Country
    Great Britain
    Hi Wilber

Thank you for your reply.

I have been taking the thyroxine for around 6 weeks now and found that it did start to make a difference, yet my balance still hasn't come right. Now however, I am so exhausted and have like a hazy kind of feeling in my head and I'm getting so fed up. I go back to the docs on Tuesday for another blood test. I am just worried it could be something a bit more sinister.

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    @graemeb9803 I think Wilber is quite right but you wanna check your other Vitamins and functions as well. Best thing is to ask doc about Kindey, Liver, Vitamin B12, Vit D, Ferritin and Complete Blood Count. In this way you'll be able to establish if body has got something else missing or it's just taking it's time to get back on track.

If you are tired at the end of the day, I would think you are still not on right dosage of thyroxine. It'll come quite clear on your new test results so good luck!

Member Achievements:
    Tagger First Class31 days registered250 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Have you had your bloods checked yet? When you start a drug treatment it's hard to tell if it's the right dose until they do your bloods. You can call your consultant or doctor for advice if you want to and gety more information. If you are feeling substantially more unwell you could be on too much or not enough and your bloods show this up - see your GP for advice. Good luck with everything. If it's side effects they often settleonce your body is used to the treatment. x

Dennis

Country
    Great Britain
    Hi guys

My wife has been on the net and bought some Sea Kelp. I started taking this and felt 100% better. However, I have read that Sea Kelp can be dangerous which is quite worrying. I have been for my blood tests and my Thyroid level had reduced but it seemed like my meds were not working enough so the GP has stuck me on 50MG. I have already had tests on Liver, kidney's etc which were normal. Had a bad day today though which is annoying because I felt I was getting a bit better. Should I keep on taking the sea Kelp along with my Thyroxine, or should I just take the Thyroxine and see what happens???

Graeme

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    @graemeb9803 Sea kelp is basically iodine but be careful with the usage of iodine as it works as a double sword. Too little of it and you surely will become hypothyroid. But if you take too much iodine, you may become hypo or hyper depending how your body responds to this.

In large quantities, iodine can reduce the release of thyroid hormones from the thyroid gland. If the hormones are not released, their effects won't be seen. Occasionally, doctors use this mechanism to control very active thyroid glands that produce too much thyroid hormone. This type of therapy is difficult and is not used as commonly today. An excess of iodine also decreases the blood flow and growth of the thyroid gland, which is characteristic of Graves' disease. As a result, iodine may be used to reduce the thyroid hormone level in conjunction with surgery to remove some or all of the thyroid gland tissue and assure a good outcome.

Source - http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=18395

While I've just explained how too much iodine exposure can actually shut down thyroid hormone production, in other situations, an excess of iodine may actually cause an over-production of thyroid hormone and hyperthyroidism.

MY advise would be to work with your doctor and keep an eye on your test results to make sure you are on the right path.

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense