User Tag List

Thread: TSH still high at 20 and I am low on iron

Junior Member Achievements:
    31 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points

Country
    Scotland

TSH still high at 20 and I am low on iron

I am currently on 75mcg of thyroxine. I have been slowly building up my dose since I was diagnosed in October 2011. I recently asked my doc for my last test results as I have learned so much from this site and realise that everyone seem to know their levels and I had no idea about my results.

My TSH is currently 20.5 and my t4 is 12.5. I did ask about t3 but she said the t4 was the important one!. I now realise from the threads on here that I will probably need to request my t3 separately?

Are these results still quite high? This does make me wonder what my tsh levels were when I was diagnosed. I asked my doc last week if I was getting there and she said I would certainly be going up to 100 mcg at my next blood test in 3 weeks but didn't say much about what dose I would end up on.

I am feeling better since starting thyroxine, although I am not feeling great yet. I still get lightheaded and a bit off balance, although no where near as much as I did before medication. This was always and continues to be my main symptom. My hair is not so brittle now. The weight gain seems to have stabilised for now which is a relief.

I had severe anaemia too when I was diagnosed due to heavy periods. I have been on ferrous fumurate for last 4 months also. I have just finished my iron tablets this week as my iron levels are now in the normal range.

I suppose my question is how much does tsh come down with each 25mcg increase or is that too difficult to predict? I am just really keen to get into a normal range that I will stay on and feel much better.
    thanks.

Senior Member Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class1000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    Hello teen and welcome to the site. You gradually learn the importance of tracking your results when it comes to thyroid.

Your TSH is way too high hun, not sure how are you coping with it. I couldn't bear a TSH value of 12 and felt like drained and slept all day. T4 is an important one when your other systems are working perfectly fine and you are converting T4 to active hormone T3. otherwise T4 wont bring you much benefits. You should probably ask for FT3 as well to get the full picture.

I think it's ferritin which has to be checked to see what's bio availability of iron and not actual iron levels. Anaemic will make things worse hence you are on right track. I couldn't say how much thyroxine you need but I do think you need something more than 75mcg. Perhaps increase to 100mcg and see how it makes you feel?

Junior Member Achievements:
    31 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points

Country
    Scotland
    Hi Butterfly, thanks for taking the time to reply to me. I am feeling not bad considering. I do get shaky through the day and like a nervous feeling. The lightheaded feeling does build up sometimes, although I have learned to cope with it. The really strange part for me is I have never felt the extreme tiredness that everyone suffers from. I work full time and have 2 young children so I don't get time to feel tired. I did have 3 weeks off sick when I was diagnosed as I was really dizzy and shaky etc. I do feel fairly ok most of the time now, even though I still have a high TSH. This makes me hopeful that when I get to a normal tsh level I will feel great!.

It was my ferritin levels that were checked for the aneamia. My doc is going to continue checking this also incase it falls again. On a positive note the heavy periods are noticeably lighter since starting thyroxine.

I think at my next bloods I will ask for ft3 also.

again. It's great to have this forum to chat and learn about hypothyroidism as I don't have any friends or family who have the condition.

Moderator Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Country
    Croatia
    yes do the ft3 also,
    on topic
    I asked my doc last week if I was getting there and she said I would certainly be going up to 100 mcg at my next blood test in 3 weeks but didn't say much about what dose I would end up on.
    it's hard to tell, i have problem with thyroid for almost 2 year and it took me year and a half to get my "normal" TSH level, i think your doc is right cause 20 is huge number for TSH

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense