User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to the UK NHS, new to this forum and a lot of questions about L-Thyroxin Henning

Junior Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class31 days registered100 Experience Points

Country
    UK

New to the UK NHS, new to this forum and a lot of questions about L-Thyroxin Henning

Hi,

I have been diagnosed Hashimoto’s disease (seronegative) in the middle of last year after a more or less long journey and a lot of health problems.

End of 2011 I moved to the UK and I have now a lot of questions, because I’m not familiar with the local health system.

I’m taking thyroxine since end of September. I had no endocrinologist, but only my “GP”, who was not very up to date with the recent developments in treating thyroid gland diseases. So, I’m still taking the start dose rate of 50mygr, because then my TSH was in the range… ft3 and ft4 are still low and I still have some problems So, I’m sure, I need a higher dose rate.

I have already registered for the NHS and last week I had the first appointment at my GP (and got a prescription for 28 days for LT, is this usual that I get it only for one month?). Tomorrow I can go to the “blood lady” and get general tests and also a function test for my thyroid gland (where I still don’t know what will be measured, only TSH or hopefully more?).

I'm taking now “L-Thyroxin Henning” from Sanofi-Aventis, which I can’t get here in the UK as my local pharmacist told me This make is known to have a good bio availability. Is there a make in the UK which can be compared to Henning?

a lot for reading, ignoring spelling and grammar and I’m happy to get some answers…

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    Hello @peachi and welcome to the UK Hope you feel a lot better her once you are settled with your medicine.

First of all what were your test results in the last blood tests? Secondly at NHS, you cant see an Endo directly unless you go private.Everything has to be done via a "GP" and a lot depends on luck on what sort of GP do you come across. You do have a choice to change your GP if you get on with the one you currently are with.

Most of the GPs I have met or other patients have met are not very up to date on thyroid treatments and medication hence no surprises there at all.

The L-Thyroxin Henning you are taking is apparently have a very good bio availability as you have said but you'll get exactly the same here....I strongly doubt it. Unless you can convince your GP that it has to be this one.

L-Thyroxin Henning is manufactured in Germany and is available in the UK at some places (In the UK it may only be injectable not sure).

It's available in Germany everywhere and a lot of our German friends take this. According to a member, Henning is one of the best in the market.

It seems there are no less than 13 brands of levothyroxine available in Germany. Of these, L-thyroxin Henning (Sanofi-Aventis), L-thyroxin beta (Betapharm) and Duthyrox (Merck Pharma) are all available in tablet strengths of 25, 30, 100, 125, 150, 175, and 200 mcg. There are also two brands of combination T4 and T3: Novothyral (Merck Pharma) 100mcg (100mcg T4 and 20mcg T3) and Prothyrid (Sanofi-Aventis) 100mcg (100mcg T4 and 10mcg T3).
    Also see this page regarding bio-availability of L-Thyroxin Henning

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12371079

Levothyroxine sodium salt (a derivative of Levothyroxine) is reported as an ingredient of L-Thyroxin Henning in the following countries:

Austria
    Germany
    Hungary

Dont quote me but I think if you tell your GP that you are lactose intolerant, I am sure he'll prescribe you L-Thyroxin Henning by Sanofi Aventis without a doubt.

If you are lucky enough to get hold of L-Thyroxin Henning prescription but can't find it in the UK then here are some links to help you with.

http://www.sanofi-aventis.com - Sanofi Aventis Homepage
    http://www.sanofi-aventis.de - Sanofi Aventis Homepage in German

harald.weiss@sanofi-aventis.com - Someone at Sanofi Aventis who might be able to help you with your prescription.

Good luck and please do let us know how you get on as it'll be a valuable information for our other readers

Senior Member Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class1000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    hi @peach you have made me think about L-thyroxine Henning and would want to give it a go to see how if I feel any better

Mike has already explained in quite detail but info I have found is that L-Thyroxine Henning is made by (Henning Berlin GmbH & Co., Berlin, Germany)

To answer your question regarding one month dosage, I think it's quite common practise and some patients even get prescription for 6 months in one go.

VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    There we go...found the details to Sanofi-Aventis in the UK.

Sanofi-Aventis

1 Onslow Street
    Guildford
    Surrey
    GU1 4YS
    UK
    Telephone: +44 (0)1483 505 515
    Fax: +44 (0)1483 535 432

Medical Information e-mail: uk-medicalinformation@sanofi-aventis.com

Country
    UK
    a lot for the first answers!
    I will reply in detail as soon as possible.
    Here is a summary of my "story" (BT blood test, let me know if there is a better abbreviation for that ):

BT 11/09 TSH 1.83

BT endocrinologist 02/10

TSH 1.5, ft3 43%, ft4 25%, Anti-TPO (MAK) (<60) <30, Auto AK (<60) <20, TSH Rezeptor-AK (<1) 0.5;

AK = Antikoerper = Antibodies

Vitamine D deficiency - Dekristol 20.000 I.E. (since then: regular controls, value ok, less ill)

Thyroid gland ultrasound 05/11 "good structure, no nodes. very small. Volume 5 and 3mL" Doc says "seronegative Hashimoto"

since then a lot of other troubles: gain of weight, tiredness, cannot concentrate, cannot find words, feeling cold, "having a lump in my throat", cannot turn my head, carpar tunnel syndrome and therefore cannot really use my hands. going to work was sort of exertion, lucky me I only had a part-time job...

BT 09/11 TSH 3.11 Start with LT50 (but only because I had those reference values from before, otherwise nothing would have happened )
    feeling better, but still problems

BT beginning 11/11 TSH 0.78 (wanted to have ft3 and ft4, but this was refused, even if I have paid for this by myself)

BT private lab end 11/11 TSH=1.05, ft3 30%, ft4 30% and Ferritin = 17 (2 points over the lower level)

Last visit at my german "GP". Refused more thyroxine, ferritin is low, but normal for a woman in my age. I can take Fe(II) if I want, but have to pay for it by myself, because the value is not too low. Taking it since then more or less regulary, feeling less tired.

12/11 – moved to great britain

02/12
    – more problems (muscle ache in my shoulders, still not loosing weight, ...), but I can manage to go to work everyday and cope with my daily tasks. I'm still very tired and have concentration problems.

Country
    UK
    Hi Mike
    Secondly at NHS, you cant see an Endo directly unless you go private.Everything has to be done via a "GP" and a lot depends on luck on what sort of GP do you come across. You do have a choice to change your GP if you get on with the one you currently are with.

Most of the GPs I have met or other patients have met are not very up to date on thyroid treatments and medication hence no surprises there at all.
    Yes, I have realised this. But it's not that different to the system I'm used to...
    I don't know how my GP is, I will give him a chance. Otherwise I will go private, that should not be the problem.
    L-Thyroxin Henning is manufactured in Germany and is available in the UK at some places (In the UK it may only be injectable not sure).

It's available in Germany everywhere and a lot of our German friends take this. According to a member, Henning is one of the best in the market.
    On my german prescriptions I had a tick in a box that says "aut idem" which means, that I only get the thyroxine from Henning and not from another company.
    But can I go to a german pharmacy with my uk prescription? If this is no problem, then I send the prescriptions to my friends or my familiy and they can bring my drugs.
    I asked my GP, but in his computer he couldn't find Henning or even Sanofi-Aventis and therefore he can't prescribe them and also the local pharmacy told me, that they can't order them for me.
    Or do you think it is worth a try contacting Sanofi-Aventis where in my city I can get the Henning?
    The problem is, I don't want to change the company every now and then. I don't know if I will stay in the UK longer then one year and when I go back to Germany or go somewhere else I have to change again
    I don't mind paying private for my drugs, thyroxine is not that expensive, but I don't want to change so often...

Hi Butterfly
    To answer your question regarding one month dosage, I think it's quite common practise and some patients even get prescription for 6 months in one go.
    So I have to go every month to get my prescription?
    And I have to pay every month the NHS prescription charge?
    I hope I get a prescription for six months after my blood test tomorrow and the discussion of the results on monday.

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    @peachi assuming you are from Germany or have a family in Germany, why dont you ask someone to send you thyroxine? I am sure there are people who can get hold of it without prescription and it's not that expensive anyway. I am not saying it's the right way to do things but until you find a way, you can take "thyroxine" which works for you.

Having said that, you'll have to find the pharmacy who is willing to order it for you. Unfortunately I dont know any but my private one in London always tells me that they can sources everything provided it's on the prescription.

I take Eltroxin and I had to fight with my GP and other members of staff to get it prescribed for me. In the end I won but it was a long fight.

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense