User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An angel needed! ... Please help!

Junior Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

An angel needed! ... Please help!

Well... here's the story. My fiancee lives in Kentucky U.S.A. In 2009 she had her thyroid removed due to Herthle cell cancer. It didn't cure the cancer so she had radiotherapy to try combat it. Last October she was told after having another bout of radiotherapy that it wasn't working and there was little hope as it may be spreading and hiding elsewhere in her body.She had a full body scan (dye) in December and a miraculous result came through that she was actually cancer free!
    The trouble now is, she's cancer free but on 112mg of levoxyl daily as obviously, the replacement hormone.
    She started getting awful bouts of depression... and I mean AWFUL! Insomnia, anxiety, irrational thoughts,mood swings.. the works.
    She had blood work done and it looked too high (t4) so in an effort to combat this and see if she was perhaps overmedicating she'd started reducing the dose of levoxyl. Taking perhaps a whole one one day, half the next. It doesn't seem to have made any difference.
    She's so very Low right now she thinks she's mental... and is talking about having herself commited.
    I absolutely adore this girl (well, woman... she's 58) and I'm at my wits end.
    The doctors are frigging useless...
    Has anyone been through a similar situation and come out the other side? found an answer?
    A few things kind of occured to me.

Her Endo insists she only takes Levoxyl ... nothing else (He says it's a cancer supressant... really? ... I'm not so sure it's not just a backhander from the firm that makes them....hmmm)

I'm sure I'm right in thinking Levoxyl is Just T4 and has no T3 component? ... maybe she should be taking a T3 supplement alongside it? Cytomel maybe?

Maybe she should ditch the Levoxyl and try dessicated Thyroid? Armor?

Maybe her cortisol is all out of whack?

I just don't know... hearing her this desperate is killing me...
    Just like to hear from anyone who might have conquered this, how they did it, what worked... fast!

Thank You!!!

Country
    UK
    Thought I might get at least 1 reply..... Oh well...

Moderator Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Country
    Croatia
    i dont know about US healt system, but, can she go to some other endo? I wouldn't hurt!

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    Hello @Paul_a and my apologise for delay in replying.

First of all your fiancee should be proud of herself that she has someone like you beside her side. It is very difficult for thyroid patients to explain what they are going through. On top of that even if they explain, it's ever harder for people to understand what a thyroid sufferer is going through.

Personally I had RAI and I regret it big time. Wont go into detail but it's never wise to remove thyroid fully IMHO. Doctors tend to treat everyone in the same way but with thyroid matters, every single individual is different.

Your
    fiancee has gone through enough stress via an operation and two RAI and plenty of scans etc etc. Body needs sometime to adjust itself and adrenals always go out of order with RAI.......happened to me and I feel it happens to almost everyone without people realising it.

First of all, get her blood tests done for thyroid TSH, FT4, FT3. Get her Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, Ferritin and liver checked. If all good then next thing is adrenals.

Adrenal glands normally get stressed with RAI or thyroid removal and needs to be looked after, after these treatments. Saliva test normally gives you most accurate results compared to other tests (Blood etc).

www.econolabs.com

www.mymedlabs.com

www.privatemdlabs.com

www.healthcheckusa.com

www.canaryclub.org - Saliva Testing

These are some of the labs which people have used in the past. Most of the time results come with detailed info and easy to interept. Before embarking on that, ask her to check her temperatures in accordance with this. A lot of detailed info is here

http://www.drrind.com/therapies/meta...perature-graph

It takes time but you must read these and understand it if you are fully committed to treating your fiancee's health.

If adrenals out of order, you have got to treat them otherwise no matter which hormone you use, it's never gonna work easily. Armour or use of T3 will give you worse results as it stresses adrenals more out.

There are different therapies to treat adrenals but no one is an expert on that. It all depends how bad are those but we'll go into that later on.

If your thyroid labs are low then she is not getting enough hormone and she has to increase it. T4 looks always high when you start on thyroxine and goes slowly down after a few weeks. Thyroxine acts slowly hence give it four weeks after a change to see a result. On the other hand, T3 acts within hours or minutes and you feel results immediately.
    Sorry if I have written something which is not clear as I am sometimes Hypo as well

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    Some more relevant info on T3 hormones etc

http://thyroid-rt3.com/dosing.htm

Senior Member Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class1000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    I wish my OH was that caring about my thyroid issues

Hope you get it sorted hun ... good luck

Country
    UK
    so much Mike!! Really great info! Looks like we need to get a plan going!
    again!

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense