User Tag List

Thread: I'm new and had a question

Junior Member Achievements:
    31 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points

Country
    United States

Help I'm new and had a question

Hello, I was just diagnosed about 2 months ago w/ Hypothyroidism. I also am anemic & was started on iron (which I take in the evening). My doctor gave me Levothyroxine, told me to take 12.5 mcg a day. After 6 weeks, she retested my TSH (no she didn't test for T3 which I have later realized is important) and my labs barely moved so she wants me to take 25 mcg a day.
    Here's my problem/question & am hoping someone here can help me.
    Since I started the meds I began losing hair, having weight gain, etc. Basically more hypo symptoms than I was having or they have gotten worse. Since she upped my dose, I have body pain is the only way to describe it. It's hard for me to wake up, I want to sleep constantly. When I do try to pull myself out of bed, everything aches.. back, legs, feet. As the day goes on this does improve. I have a significant amount of brain fog and loss of memory. I also have these weird little sores on my face. I have no energy and no desire to do absolutely anything. I finally begin to feel somewhat better late in the evenings.
    Does this sound typical of needing possibly T3 added? I'm wondering if I don't convert T4 to T3.. or is there someone on here that's only on T3? I've been on this med for 2 months and the only thing that I can say that's gotten better since she upped my dose is that my hair loss is abit better. My skin is really dry. I am seeing another doctor on Monday that prescribes Cytomel & Armour which most docs in this little city I live in won't. I just I guess am wondering and hoping for some success stories where someone on here can say that's exactly how I was and I was put on " ------" and wow what a difference. I just don't know how much longer I can continue like this. I'm 32 but feel like I'm 82! If anyone can shed some bit of hope on this situation for me, I'd really really appreciate it!!!

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    Hi @christal at 12.5mcg is extremely low dosage so no surprises that you didnt feel any difference. I am not sure what your test results were but if you started on something like 25mcg for a week and bumping it up to 50mcg next week, you would have felt some difference.

Starting straight on T3 could be tricky as if your adrenals are stressed out, you will feel worse rather than better. Best thing is speak to the new doctor and see what he says. Also dont forget to take your full results history with you as he would be interested to seeing in.

Good luck and keep us updated especially if you start on T3.

Junior Member Achievements:
    31 days registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Hi @christal at 12.5mcg is extremely low dosage so no surprises that you didnt feel any difference. I am not sure what your test results were but if you started on something like 25mcg for a week and bumping it up to 50mcg next week, you would have felt some difference.

Starting straight on T3 could be tricky as if your adrenals are stressed out, you will feel worse rather than better. Best thing is speak to the new doctor and see what he says. Also dont forget to take your full results history with you as he would be interested to seeing in.

Good luck and keep us updated especially if you start on T3.
    So I went & seen the new doctor yesterday. After I left, I felt like crying. I really thought this would be the doc. I waited almost 2 hours to see her, she comes in, doesn't even ask me anything at all.. she's in there maybe 3 min., when I tried to interrupt her to get to speak, she'd speak over me. Then she said I needed to take supplements (that she sells) and starts getting them out of her cabinet. Of course these wouldnt be covered by insurance, but she neglects to tell me the cost. Then she throws me off to her nurse and leaves the room! The only thing good I can say is she WAS going to do the WHOLE thyroid panel that I wanted done and she was going to test my adrenals.. but it wasn't worth it. I got up, and walked out. She didnt even talk to me or let me TALK. Even IF she was going to do all the testing, what's it worth if I have a doctor that won't listen to me?
    I thought FINALLY I'm going to feel better. I walked out to my car and just sat there .. feeling horrible.
    I felt like she was too busy for me, then wanted me to buy her supplements from her so she could make a buck..
    Now I'm back to square 1. She did however tell me that she also thinks that the mcg I'm currently on w/ Levo isn't probably enough. That was in her 3 min rambling which I did catch. She also told me I was 10 lb overweight (which I am very aware) and when I told her, I know but I think that's due to my thyroid.. that's actually why I'm here.. SHE interrupts me again and sais, no not really (meaning my 10 lb weight gain wasn't due to my thyroid) .. So apparently I'm a lazy A., ughhhhhhhhhh
    I feel worse than I did.. I just want someone to listen to me.. how hard is that?!

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    @christal I am so sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with the doctors. It's absolutely pathetic that most doctors wont even listen to you and just do what they think is right. Trouble is everything is so commercial now that they dont care how you feel or what underlying problem is. All they are interested is in attend as many patients in a day and make maximum sales.

Trust me I had visited loads of doctors and they have all be same. I went to see Dr. Barry Peatfield in the end and he listened to me, talked to me, understood what exactly I was saying and explained to me if I was wrong or right.

It helped a lot and without going into if I felt better or worse, I at least felt satisfied that I know the problem now and someone will look into that.

You don't have to loose heart, just ignore the bit*h and go and try to find a doctor based on other people's recommendations. Where about do you live? I'll try looking for good doctors in your area and then you can make an appointment with them.

She is right at least that 12mch is way too low dose to feel anything at all. The tablets never get fully absorbed so there is a possibility that tiny tablet you take is not absorbing half of it and only 4 ~ 6mcg is getting into system.

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense