User Tag List

Thread: Any teachers out there?

Junior Member Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience Points

Country
    Scotland

Any teachers out there?

Hi,
    I'm new to this Forum and would really appreciate some answers! I was treated with RA Iodine 3 years ago but now am due to have partial thyroidectomy for a 3.2cm nodule with "irregular borders". I've had an U/S guided FNA which came back as a 1.
    What I want to know is the return to work issue. I teach in an FE College where there is no Supply staff and I will be under pressure to return asap. To complicate things, I've already had extensive time off for Breast Cancer treatment. Anyone who teaches knows that when you're back, you're back and expected to function at 100% from 9am on the first day.
    Are there any teachers/lecturers who've had this op and what was their experience of time off and realistic return to work?

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    @Alloway I feel sorry for you and it seems you could do better with sometime off work.

I am not sure how it works but perhaps speaking to your GP would be the first thing I would start with. Hypothyroid is like a permanent disability and may be covered with DDA regulation (Equality Act now) Do you have any counselling service provided to you by your employer?

Sorry I am not a teacher but thought would share my knowledge. Good luck

Junior Member Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience Points

Country
    Scotland
    Hi Mike,
    for your response. I saw the Surgeon again on the 23rd and he's now changed his approach. He wasn't happy with the first FNA as only fluid was drained from the complex cyst but no solid tissue. I've to have another one at the end of February and he's going to decide about whether or not he operates then! This is a 180 degree change and I'm not sure what is best: to have an operation or not?

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense