User Tag List

Thread: Strange Lab results please help Interpret.

Junior Member Achievements:
    100 Experience Points3 months registered

Country
    South Africa

Strange Lab results please help Interpret.

Long story short,I am a male,four months ago,I had I mild flu,about three days after I started getting typical hyperthyroid symptoms,panic,rapid heart rate( almost 200 bpm the once,before beta blockers) and so on,I didn't know at the time what it was,I thought i was going mad or something,It felt like hell on earth! .any way my first TFT was normal and then I got these results after An ultrasound,isotope scan and another TFT here is the results.
    TFT

TSH 0.01 Mui\L Normal = -0.35 - 5.0
    Thyroxine Free t4 23.9 Pmol\L Normal = -11.5 - 22

Witch is indicative of hyperthyroid.

Isotope

left lobe enlarged,diffusely decreased radiotracer uptake noted in both lobes of thyroid gland,
    no hot or cold spots demonstrated.

Thyroid uptake rate 0.1 % normal is - 0.75 - 4.00 %

Ultrasound shows increased vascularity. and slightly enlarged left thyroid.
    and shows signs of early throiditis.

the Doctor says its strange because the isotope scan shows signs hypothyroidism and the TFT shows hyperthyroidism and he made me do another TFT.I know I am not Hypo.

Im wondering does these test signal A post viral lymphocytic thyroiditis (Silent Thyroiditis)

My thyroid antibodies test came back negative.

Can anyone make more sense of this. more then the docters can, will be much appreciated.

OH and I am feeling much better now since about three months after It started. started in late september. felt better late november.

Thankyou and please help interpret.
    Last edited by donpodiochi; 12th January 2012 at 02:11 PM.

Moderator Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Country
    Croatia
    I'm sorry @donpodiochi but i don't get something, you were hyper? did you took any pills?

how's the situation now?

Junior Member Achievements:
    100 Experience Points3 months registered

Country
    South Africa
    Well the doctors were stupid,thyroiditis damages thyroid and the consequence of which is the subsequent release of hormone until thyroid is exhausted,so my hyperthyroidism was not caused by an overactive gland but rather the destruction of the thyroid.
    hence low uptake while hyperthyroid.they put me on carbimazole for 1 month then took me off it.
    I am a lot better now the hypothyroid phase hasn't hit me yet so i'm in-between phases and feel normal,should become hypo soon which should be mild.

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by donpodiochi View Post
    Well the doctors were stupid,thyroiditis damages thyroid and the consequence of which is the subsequent release of hormone until thyroid is exhausted,so my hyperthyroidism was not caused by an overactive gland but rather the destruction of the thyroid.
    hence low uptake while hyperthyroid.they put me on carbimazole for 1 month then took me off it.
    I am a lot better now the hypothyroid phase hasn't hit me yet so i'm in-between phases and feel normal,should become hypo soon which should be mild.
    Having gone from Mildly hyper to full hypo, I would prefer going back to hyper all the time. Mind you, mine was very mild hence it wasn't causing me too many issues like other people.

I hope you feel better being hypo but hyper or hypo.....both are evil diseases.

Member Achievements:
    Tagger First Class31 days registered250 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    @donpodiochi sounds confusing. I'm afraid i have nothing useful to offer except that the best advice I was ever given and I am now passing it to you is to listen to your body. If and when your balance shifts again you will feel it, so get tested as early as you can - any time you're unsure, get a test at your GP, it can;t hurt. Both of these diseases do more damage the longer you have them. If it's kept minimal people can often enjoy full recoveries. glad you're feeling a bit better at the moment and sorry Ihave nothing to offer re blood results. I don;t even understand my own let alone anyone elses!

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense