User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life after block and replace

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Life after block and replace

About 2 weeks ago I completed 18 months block and replace and stopped the drugs. Does anyone have any positive or negative feedback they would like to share about this cold turkey period? I have a friend who felt great after coming off the drugs, I'm not feeling so great. Wondered if anyone knew how long it can take for hyper to start up again after stopping carbimazole/thyroxin. Sigh.

31 days registered100 Experience Points

Country
    United States
    Hi. It worked for me.

I have been in remission for 20 years!!! I found out about b&r from reading medical journals in the library (before most of us had computers at home!) and found that they were using this in Japan with a great deal of success. I convinced my endo to try it. I was on b&r for a year when I finally went into remission. I stayed on a low dose of synthroid ever since. This is so your thyroid doesn't "wake up" and become hyper again. Now, I'm actually HYPO and have recently been upped in synthroid. I'm on .75 of synthroid. I hope you have as much success as I have. I don't even think about Graves anymore except to go in every 6 months to have my TSH tested. Funny thing, they STILL hardly use this in the USA... and I recently went to a new endo who has never heard of it!!!

Country
    UK
    It's really amazing how differently things are done. In the UK we are all up in arms about B&R because it seems such an aggressive way to treat, but actually I'm doing well. My first bloods are in a few weeks but I know I'm not going to be hypo or hyper because I feel OK. I guess you just have to have faith in the people who are so used to treating this condition. for your really encouraging feedback - Jess

Member Achievements:
    Tagger First Class31 days registered250 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Best of luck Jess. I have Graves disease.. and did same block and replace regime. I had it for about 14 months before diagnosed so I did have it very badly and my thyroid was initially hard to reign in. (I'm sure none of that helps).

I'm afraid I'm one of the other ones who developed the disease again after the treatment stopped.. just as I began to think I was in the clear (around 12 months). I've had Graves disease for 15 years now (only because I chose not to kill my throid with Radioactive Iodene, so I didn;t have it and then get hypothyroidism instead) and it is under control with drug treatments.

The good news is that as I've got older my thyroid has become more stable and cooperative.. sparked off by a pregnancy 7 years ago

Good luck and let's hope you get signed off soon and can return to a life of health and bounce!

Dennis

Country
    UK
    So far so good. I've just had a normal blood test after 6 months. I was under the impression that once you have Graves, you always have Graves but maybe it only affects the thyroid when it feels like it. Only time will tell. Glad you're more stable now and thanks for the feedback, it's really good to hear from people who know!

Jess

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    Graves' disease is dependant on thyroid antibodies and for some strange reasons, sometimes antibodies go extremely high and sometimes become normal. No one knows the exact reason but anitbodies are responsible for almost all Hashimoto and Graves' disease

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    Forgot to ask @Jess how you feeling anyway? Getting any better or feeling strange symptoms etc?

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense