Thread: Extreme tiredness even after treatment

Junior Member Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Extreme tiredness even after treatment

Hi all

I'm new here so bare with me!

I'm 22 and have had hyperthyroidism twice, first bout about 2 years ago and second I am currently undergoing treatment (carbimazole 20mg) for after being diagnosed about 3 months ago. I've seen my endocrinologist and he's said that my levels are now acceptably normal (T4 17 and TSH <0.01). He's also decided that rather than doing the radioactive iodine he's happy for me to do the stop and start method again as treatment, just this time stay on it for about 2 years (first time I was only on it for about 10 months).

However, despite my thyroid levels being normal (and probably lower than the above as that was taken a month ago) I'm still feeling extremely fatigued. I mean no where near where I was when my thyroid was originally high with T4 at 36, but certainly not the acceptable amount of tired for someone on my levels and my age. I can spend one day out at work or with my friends and I feel like I don't want to move the next.

I just wanted to ask other people's experiences, and if any of you lovely people have any advice?

Heather x

Junior Member Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Hi there Heather,

Gulps! Iam at the start of all this and hope to be shot of this thing, your experience frightens me a wee bit! Have messaged you.

Poorly Boy

Member Achievements:
    Tagger First Class31 days registered250 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Hi there @YoungandTired .v same as i posted elsewhere

I would advise going back to your endocrinologist at hospital.

Some of us do continue to have Graves symptoms when bloods are fine. I am trying to find out more about it, but the tiny bit I have found referencing this seems to indicate it's more likely to happen to older people and people who have had a very bad bout of the disease initially and / or were undiagnosed for long awhile.

In my case I was about to have a heart attack when the diagnosis was made and Graves disease continues to slowly progress around my body.

I wish I had known about this 14 years ago to ask about it. like you I carried on feeling tired. eventually about a year after first treatm,ent I asked hospital clinic why I was so exhausted/ it was the first time I found outmy muscles had wasted (it's what happens with severe weight loss)

ask your doc might you be continuing to experience symptoms, is there anything else could help - might physio help and so on? Eventually I wasn;t getting out at all because of my problems so I started using a wheelchair.

Miss Dennis Queen (aka clairlewis)

Member Achievements:

Country
    UK
    wheelchair sounds drastic but it is much betteer than becoming housebound at a young age - I was similar age to you when I first contracted the disease.

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    Hello @YoungandTired I believe I had similar case to yours and after a year on carbimazole and some other medication (Which slows your heart beat so you dont get palpitations etc) I went for Radioactive Iodine treatment. I still think it was a wrong decision to be made on my behalf by the doctors but can't do much now.

If you have a grave's disease then situation is worse and it all depends how many antibodies are produced by your body. They attack thyroid gland as a foreign object and thyroid gland works harder to produce more hormones. The cycle continues until one day your thyroid dies off. Carbimazole has serious side effects and taking it sometimes makes your body go back to the rythym but it's not a solution in long term. What are you taking now a days and you feeling any better.

Senior Member Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class1000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    Heather @Dennis is quite right, you should go and speak to your doctor about it in more details. Trouble is doctors only see the piece of paper and if that shows normal then they say it's all normal. Hope you feel alright hun xx

Member Achievements:

Country
    UK
    Also heather.. hope you see this Am sending you a message in case you haven't been checking here and you get email notifications.

If you haven't already you should also check with your GP so they can ensure you have things like blood pressure, Vit C / calcium, iron and so on checked, because there's a stack of things which can make us feel exhausted. A year or so ago I had a vitamin D deficiency and I was soo worn out with that. A short course of treatment and it's better now.

Good luck

Dennis

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense