User Tag List

Thread: Questions

Junior Member Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Questions

Hello,

I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid when I was 21 and started on the lowest dose of thyroxine, at the time I was about to leave for 6 months travelling and wasn't really too interested in the diagnosis. So I went off and sporadically took my medication, when I came back my levels were slightly low so they upped me to 50mcg and I carried on taking the pills most days but not always before food. I really wasn't taking it seriously until I had a blood test and the doctor ended up calling my mother to talk about it because my levels had gotten so low. Since then i've been trying my best to take my pills every day, first thing (i'm on 125mcg now) and have had a couple of normal blood tests. I guess now is the point where it's actually sunk in for me that i'm going to have to take these forever and i'm already fed up. I don't know anyone else who has it to talk to and I feel embarrassed asking my doctor questions, that he'll think i'm moaning and that I should just get on with it. After all lots of people have much worse medical problems. I suppose i'm just at a point now where i'd like to know more about hypothyroidism, since it seems i'm stuck with it. I was hoping there would be people here who may be able to tell me, as medical webpages seem to be so conflicting.
    I'm wondering if there are things I can do (any lifestyle changes) that might make it better? How is it going to progress as I get older-will it get worse? Are there foods I shouldn't be eating? How bad is it to miss pills? I'm also wondering how people get it...the only causes i've seen online are thyroid disease or iodine deficiency but i'm pretty sure I don't have that.

Thank you so much for your help!

Member Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassOverdrive1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Country
    Australia
    If you take your pills regularly missing a few days here and there won't matter too much in the long run. But don't make a habit of it because your symptoms will come back and you'll start to feel sick again.

Sure you can make lifestyle changes, diet and exercise always improves the way you will feel. Eat lots of fruits ad veggies, if you cook try cooking with coconut oil because it will boost your thyroid. Try to avoid eating raw thyroid inhibiting foods such as broccoli, cabbage, spinach, kale etc you can eat them occasionally but not often. Instead eat lots of citrus fruits, blueberries, apples, cherries, and veggies such as carrots, peas lettuce, beetroot etc

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense