I get this feeling quite a bit, more so in the last few years than ever before. The only thing I can compare it to is how, when you pass a policeman casually on the street, you feel as though you have done something wrong even when you haven't. I get this feeling constantly, particularly when I go into unfamiliar gas stations or bars to by cigarettes or beer. Though I'm definitely of age and have been for awhile, I look much younger and have often been questioned for my I.D. which ALWAYS makes me feel uncomfortable and, again, irrationally feeling like I've done something wrong. I recently had what I can only guess was a panic attack buying cigarettes at a 7/11... I went up to the counter, got overwhelmed by this feeling of guilt, and could barely breath while my heart pounded in my ears. I still made it through the transaction, but once I got to my car, I had to sit there for a second just to calm myself down. I've never had this happen to me and it was very strange.

To make matters worse, it's escalated to feeling guilt when shopping in expensive stores. I have a large purse and feel like employees are watching me, waiting for me to "steal" something. Sometimes I'll just buy something to buy something so I don't have to deal with it.

In short, I'm starting to feel a little more than just neurotic. I'm a good person, never had trouble with the law, so what gives? I'm such a laid back person otherwise, the fact this has gotten worse over the years concerns me.