Thread: Hoarse voice after having thyroid operation

Junior Member Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Damaged Vocal Cord after having Thyroid operation

Hi All,

I'm new here.
    I have my Thyroid totally removed 8 weeks ago. My voice is still hoarse and I feel slightly breathless sometimes.
    I went back for a follow-up appt this week, the Doc had a look at my Vocal Cords with a camera, he got me to sound out some letters, after the examination, he said my right Vocal Cord is not moving. I asked him if this is a permanent thing or can it repair itself, he said he didn't know. I'm now feeling very down about this and I'm not sure what to do next, so that's why I'm here now trying to find people in the same boat as me, who don't mind sharing their experiences and maybe give me some advice.

X
    Last edited by Pat; 3rd November 2011 at 08:06 PM.

Country
    Netherlands
    That is a bad complication after thyroid surgery. I could not speak after my surgery for 3 months. But my Vocal Cords were fine. Did your doc. also look at your calcium and D3 vitamin?
    It is really strange that your doctor does not know if your vocal cord can repair itself.
    Is it paralysed or not? You should go to an other doctor to get a second opinion.

Country
    UK
    Hi @Olga ,

for your message. My Calcium was checked and it's fine, not too sure about D3. The doctor didn't say the word paralised, he just said it wasn't moving, so I'm not too sure how to take it. This week I'm going to my GP, gonna ask to be referred to someone else, cause I really need some answers. I guess my voice issue is not a very common problem after surgery, as you're the only person that's replied to me, I guess I'm just one of the unlucky ones

Px

Country
    Netherlands
    Hi @Pat ,
    When your vocal cord isn't moving it is not OK.
    It happens more time but we, patients, do not know how many times, because most of them do not tell us the truth.
    They did not tell me that calciumproblem wil be such a big issue in my life.
    Can you speak? Can you use your voice a little bit?
    Or both of your Vocal Cord do not move?

Country
    UK
    Hi Olga,
    Good to hear from you again. My boss at work suffers the Calcium thing, she said she had pins and needles in places she never thought she could have them, thankfully my Calcium seems to be ok, although I can get very tired at times, but I believe I need a higher dose of meds, I took some blood test, so I'm awaiting the results still. Yes I can speak, my voice is very hoarse and by midday my voice is extremely low, which is a bit of an issue as I work in an office and sometimes people can not hear what I'm saying to them over the phone.

Px

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense