User Tag List

Thread: getting thyroid tested in NHS uk

Junior Member Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

Country
    UK

getting thyroid tested in NHS uk

HI everyone,
    It may sound stupid, but I have just moved to England and am not familiar with NHS system . I am having all symptoms of Hypothyriodism and want to get my Thyroid hormones tested...I have been reading in this forum that NHS dr usually sends for only T3 and TSH checks , not all 3 hormones, unless Dr feels it really
    necessary. If anyone can help me: what is the steps to get Thyroid checked in NHS and get ALL hormones tested?? Do I go to NHS clinic or hospital in my area?? Is lab test done in the clinic or outside usually?? Plz help!!

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    Hi @asdr welcome to England....where abouts did you move in? Hope you are enjoying the cold weather

NHS system is quite good and caring here .... it also depends where you are based so sometimes care is not that caring if you know what I mean.

I dont think you can go to the hospital straight away...you'll need to go to your GP (Register with a local GP if you havent done yet and you'll get an NHS number) and tell him or her about your condition. Depending on how good the doctor is, you might get all Blood tests done. Normally they order FBC (Full Blood Count), Kidney, Liver and TFT (Thyroid Function Test). TFT doesnt include FT3 hence if you politely request it, your doctor might just add it. Otherwise they think TSH and FT4 is more than enough. Nevertheless you should get these tests done asap.

Country
    UK
    From my experience you go to the GP and tell them your symptoms, they'll give you a form with whatever blood tests they think are necessary on it, which you then take to a hospital nearby that will take your blood (you can't go to the hospital directly). The hospital then sends the results to your GP who will get in touch with you to discuss them...whatever tests they do should be sufficient to give you whatever the diagnosis. Good luck!

Country
    UK
    Thank you for the support @ Mike and Wondering: ).. I have been busy with exam this month and unable to go for the test. Will be sharing my experience in the forum soon!!

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense