User Tag List

Thread: Why am I having insomnia???

Junior Member Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

Country
    United States

Why am I having insomnia???

I have papillary cancer 5 years ago and had surgery followed by RAI. During my surgery, however, to remove the thyroid, an u/s showed that a sliver of my thyroid was left. I had follow up oral radiation about 2 years ago.

After the cancer I was put on 175 mcg for suppression. I couldn't tolerate it--had terrible insomnia--and told my doctor I wanted to go back to
    150mcg and I've been on this dose for almost 5 years now. Just under 2 weeks ago, I switched pharmacies and got a new refill there. The next
    night for 4 nights I couldn't sleep. I couldn't even get groggy, had a high pulse, too--but constipation I stopped my meds for 2 days, and the third day only took half of my meds. I've been waiting to hear from my doc and just yesterday got bloodwork done to see what's going on.

My thoughts were that the meds could be wrong in dosage even though the color is correct. I'm back on full dose but I'm ready to stop again at
    any sign's of insomnia. I'm not sleeping great, but I am able to fall asleep. Wondering what your thought are and what input you could give me. for any input!

Country
    Netherlands
    What are your blood results?
    Do you have to take any other meds? Like calcium?
    Are your parathyroid saved?

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    @mykidsmomto4 @Olga any progress on this? Has your sleep patterned improved or still struggling?

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    @mykidsmomto4 @Olga any progress on this? Has your sleep patterned improved or still struggling?
    ''

for asking. While the insomnia slowly dissipated with no true understanding of why, my sleep is not great. I've lowered my dose slightly recently as my tsh was in hyper range even though it's been my dose for a few years.

Also, I go for my RAI with Thyrogen in a couple of weeks. Any chance you've got a good link to low iodine diet info?

Oh, forgot about other questions: My parathyroid glands are intact and no damage was done to them. I take lots of vitamins. Probablly too many to list. My last TSH was .02.

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Low Iodine diet for RAI

@mykidsmomto4 your TSH seems to be quite low but dont forget one thing, even when your body is not converting T4 to T3, taking too much thyroxine will show low TSH while you are still hypothyroid.

I have done RAI in the past but if I had a chance again, I would avoid it all together. Not a good decision but this is based on my circumstances.

Keep us updated how it goes with RAI.

I was given a leaflet which showed some of the food items to be avoided before taking my RAI. Sea food and sea products like seaweed tablets, shellfish etc , dairy (milk, cheese, cream, yogurt, butter, ice cream, powdered dairy creamers, whey, casein, other dairy products), eggs, soya products, vitamins containing iodine etc may be avoided all together.

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense