User Tag List

Thread: thyroid and the brain

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Embarrased thyroid and the brain

I was just wondering if anyone had any info on how lack of thyroid affects the brain? OK so we all know that it is a cretinous deseise and baby's are tested for it very early on to avoid cretinism but what happens when kids get it later on and it goes undiagnosed? From everything I have read it just says that treatment corrects everything. I cant imagine that it would not have any effect? I can find no info on this at all and it would be interesting reading for the likes of myself who although now nearly 45, had undiagnosed juvenile mxyodema from the age of about 7 or 8 until 16. If anyone else here has had any similar experience or info I would love to hear from you

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Re: thyroid and the brain

Hi @littleliz

From my understanding the whole body system is based on three crucial elements acting as an tripod. Brain. Nervous System and Thyroid. If one of them fails, rest of the elements will feel the affect and the disturbance will be caused through out the body....everything will be messed up.

My experience from hyper to severe hypo was that I couldn't think properly at all!!! I had to think before I could talk or say names of my friends.....these were people who I have known for years. If someone has been lacking in thyroid hormones I guess, slowly and gradually everything is gonna be effected and one might just blame it to age or other factors including stress.

Country
    UK

Re: thyroid and the brain

Everything gets messed up! Well sounds about right LOL. Obviously for yourself going from hyper to hypo in what I imagine was a relitivly short space of time must have been very scary! Mine was a gradual process so although I guess most ppl knew I was ill and I knew I was very different, I did not have anything to compare with as such and was soo consumed with coping and surviving day to day that I didnt even question what was wrong with me. I had just about every symptom in the book except a hoarse voice LOL yet my doctor did not seem to notice!!!!

The reason for me asking how it effects the brain is because of things like you mentioned with not remembering names etc...I still have that problem now tee hee. I also cant follow plots in films, or keep in my head obvious ppl like the royal family, film stars, ppl from history and just dont go asking me about politics and politicians tee hee 'cos I'll probably just say I dont do politics. Hmmmm well actually I just dont get it nor do I know who is who! I dont discuss films I've watched because I dont remember the name of the film, and even if the plot was easy and I got it at the time I have usually forgotten what happend by the next day and cant recall certain parts of the film unless I watch it again (then I remember that I have already seen it). I know nobody is 'normal' and I don't consider myself to be thick. Thyroxine totally sorts out my reaction times and speed of thinking but I dont know if anything about the way my mind works now could be attributed to being severely hypo for such a long time at a stage in my life when most kids are learning very quickly? And when I think back to what I was eating!!! OMG how did I stay alive at all! I ate like an anorexic mouse. Gagged on every bite of food! and often threw up what bit of food I'd eaten if I tried walking too fast! My mum must have been worried out of her mind with me.

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries
    Dont worry too much, it's probably age lol and dont forget, all these youngsters are way cleverer than we used to be.

If you have been hypo for such a long time then it will take a long time to recover as well. Mine went in a very short period of time so I felt the changes immediately and never there was a morning when I got up thinking, how on earth I can keep on going like this?

It's a lot better, confidence is back, brain is work, memory is not bad but still there are sometimes moments which make you look like a clown like putting oyster card on the place of key fob etc.

Thyroxine is the way forward but dont forget, it's still not natural. What you body does in it's natural form will never be the same.

Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Hello

This is only my interpretation of what I have read and I have no medical or scientific training so you should check everything I say before accepting it.

You can find a lot of articles on the effect of thyroid and mental health issues on the Royal College of Psychiatry website. Enter the word thyroid and over 70 references come back. Some of them take a bit of digesting and are very technical but after reading a few you will get the idea, even if like me you can't understand the technical side of it.

The thyroid hormones are responsible for ensuring oxygen bonds with the brain neurons in order they can fire neurotransmitters. These neurotransmitters control your mental health and how it reacts to things like stress. Without that oxyen getting to the neurons you will have problems. When you have mental health issues then your brain may, for want of a better word, rewire in order to cope with lifes stress and strain. It can take some considerable time after balancing things to get your body to rewire back. It usually sorts itself out but can take some considerable time. Everyone seems to be different.

This lack of oxygen can effect every cell in your body and this is why I believe that there are so many symptoms.
    You may well have read about oxygen sickness at high altitude. This is a lack of oxygen getting to the brain and all sorts of things occur from depressive thoughts, anxiety and halucinations.

David

Country
    UK
    Hi @David ! That is really interesting! I have never heard anyone explain what happens like this before! I will definatly have a go at reading some of the articles from the RPC website. Lots of things to think about and research here...Thank you very much ^__^

PS @Mike ...I would have thought that any recoverying that was going to happen would have happened by now LOL so you could be right about age being a factor now as well LMAO. Admitting to being 45 on my birthday on Sunday was scary tee hee.
    Last edited by littleliz; 24th August 2010 at 07:40 AM.

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense