User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What foods &etc should I be avoiding?

What foods &etc should I be avoiding?

I trawl the net regularly trying to find out which foods are a complete no-no when one has an underactive thyroid. The more I read and try to take notes, the less my fuzzy head co-operates .. I see conflicting info (I think! - either that or my brain is on the blink and can't piece together what I want to know ).

I see dietary info which is aimed at weight loss, which is very important, but at the moment all I really simply want to know is which foods I should NOT eat so that my Thyroxine can do its job properly without me eating things which will inhibit its purpose, because I am sure I am eating wrongly.

It is 7 years since diagnosis and had no great advice given, other than take the tablets and have regular blood tests (more or less). I am contending with other medical issues, one of which is randomly recurring vestibular neuritis (mostly mild recurrences) but a lot of how horrible I usually feel could either be that or my underactive thyroid.

I am trying hard to get a happy medium between the two and am currently needing to know where I am being with my daily eating.

Any advice, or your personal experiences, would be extremely helpful please.

Administrator Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

Re: What foods &etc should I be avoiding?

I too have read conflicting stories and when that happens what do you do??!?!?

I personally think everything in moderation is the key!!

If anyone has anything to add please feel free.
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Good to know, thanks for confirming that I am not quite as stupid as I thought I was. I guess can put the thyroid on the back burner a bit and concentrate on keeping the other nuisances in my life in order.

Is it common to feel that you have a little bit of something in your throat that you are constantly trying to swallow? Mostly I ignore it but some days it gets annoying.

VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Hi floxdot

I dont really care about food anymore. I eat anything and everything and perhaps everyone should do the same as long as you are not allergic to it. As Ric said, your body needs a bit of everything so it's best to have everything including fruits etc.

Now if you taking thyroxine then milk, juices (As they have calcium) or anything containg iron may interfare with thyroxine absorption so they say it's better to eat or drink these sort of things after a few hours.

The funny little thing you feel in your throat, do you feel it once in a while or is it a continuous feeling? I think it's just mucus coming from the back of your nose and stuck to your throat. Nobody knows the exact cause but low adrenals or low thyroid could cause this.

Hello Mike Interesting, thanks.

The 'lump' in my throat has been there for years, since diagnosis. It doesn't cough up or swallow down and I always thought it was 'par for the course' and I have to be careful swallowing meat, crisps, breakfast cereal, brown bread with whole grains in it and stuff like that, because I choke. I do have periods of being slightly croaky-voiced now and again.

I had better rethink breakfast and avoid cereal - never thought about having cereal with milk so close to the time I take my Thyroxine, thanks for pointing that out.

VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Well it could be a nodule, did you ever have ultrasound scan to your neck?

That's the thing if you have been having something regularly then your thyroxine dose is adjusted to that. If you change your routine, thyroxine may be get absorbed more or less and you'll have to adjust you dosage accordingly.

Don't break it if it's working for you as it is. May be you take 100mcg thyroxine when you need only 50 but as you have milk or cereals close to your thyroxine dose, perhaps only half of getting absorbed. Once you have changed your routine, it may get 75% absorbed and you might have to change your dose to 75mcg. It's just an example, there could be a case where you feel better.

No, I didn't have ultrasound scan.

Scenario is that I was post menopausal for a couple of years then diagnosed with breast cancer, for which I had surgery, to be followed by radiotherapy.

After a few daily doses of my three week radiotherapy course, I started having the horrible feeling that I was constantly being strangled, which got more uncomfortable day by day. Couldn't get GP appointment, as I had to travel a very long way each day for radiotherapy and wasn't around to attend his at his surgery times - I did see a doctor at the oncology hospital who wasn't helpful and huffily indicated that there was nothing in my treatment that would be 'strangling' me.

As soon as radio. was over I saw GP and was seen a couple of days later by a consultant. I was x-rayed, got the results that day and was told my thyroid was very enlarged but there were no cancerous nodes and to go back to GP next day. GP put me on Thyroxine and straightened out the dose, which seemed to sort me out and shrink my thyroid . . five months later we had to move house out of that Health Authority, so now with different GP and Health Authority where for the past 7 years I get my annual blood tests.

I understand what you mean about the dosage absorption .. thank you .. I will keep an eye on things now that I have changed my breakfast pattern and habits. How good to have a chat here, rather than a 10 minute max appointment with a GP where nothing much is accomplished other than 'keep taking the tablets'.

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense