Hello,

I'm new to this site and would like to know if anyone has ever dealt with this issue. This of course happens after I've been complaining forever. Also, let me add I've gone into full blown menopause and it seems my issues have gotten worse over the months. I'm on HBP medicine, anti-depressants and premarin.

When I went for my check-up my doctor noticed a lump on my neck and sent me for a thyroid ultrasound. These were the results:
Thyroid is homogeneous echotexture. Right Lobe measures 5.7 x 1.6 x 1.7 cm, the left lobe measure 4.5 x 1.0 x 1.7 cm Several bilateral thyroid nodules are identified., 2 of them hypoechoic versus cyst measuring about 0.3 x 0.2 x 0.3 cm, one cystic measuring 0.8 x 0.3 x 0.5, 2 regular nodules 0.6 x 0.3 x 0.6 cm and one more cystic nodule 0.8 x 0.3 x 0.5. There were a total of 6 nodules identified. The isthmus measures 3 mm in maximal AP diameter.

So afterwards she sent me for a thyroid uptake and scan. The findings were:
There is physiological tracer distribution in the thyroid gland which has a normal size, shape and location. The nodules described on the recent ultrasound are not visualized by this scan. I find that hard to believe, I see my swollen throat and nodules daily now. Plus my throat feels like something is stuck in it and I have swallowing problems and shortness of breath. I'm so tired all the time with dry skin, and hacking cough. I've gained weight while exercising, etc... I have all the symptoms of hypothyroidism and some hyper back and forth. All my blood tests also came back normal.

My TSH was 1.6 and the other panels were as follows:
T4 Thyroxine 10.1
Free T4 Index (T7) 2.7
Free T4 1.1
T3, Total 113
T3 uptake 27
Thyroid Peroxidase
Antibodies <10
Thyroglobulin Panel
Antibodies <20
Thyroglobulin 21.3

I don't know what any of this means. I can't for the life of me understand how a scan can come back normal and not see any enlargement or nodules. My doctor wants me to go to the surgeon and get it taken out since it is so large and I'm having the symptoms. I'm so confused right now and I'm just in tears cause they can't tell me anything more. Could my tests have been done wrong? I've set up an appointment Monday with an Endocrinologist. So I can hardly wait. In the meantime I'm just worn out and miserable, I'm just in tears about it. Does it sound like I could have thyroiditis? This has been going on for awhile and when I complained my doctor would just say I was not drinking enough water that is why my throat is so red. I'm not going back to her after this. I just need someone to talk to about this, I feel like a crazy woman right now. Thank you for listening.