User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

I'm 14, and Female.My face is pretty much round (but not all days, sometimes you can actually see my jaw line) and i think ive got Hashimoto's Thyroiditis because i suffer from most of the symptoms. I'm not overweight since i do athletics but i get tired a lot. My hands and feet are almost always cold and i once got hypothermia on a snowy day. If i got diagnosed properly, would taking the medication get rid of the symptoms including the puffy face?

Baby Moderator Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Re: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

if i was you i would seek to get blood tests done first. what are the symptoms you have been experiencing ?

Junior Member Achievements:

My most obvious symptoms are sensitivity to cold, unusually cold hands and feet , fatigue, hypoglycemia, muscle weakness and puffy face. My grandmother has problems with her thyroid. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow. If i mention that i think that its my thyroid is causing these symptoms, what type of questions will they ask me? I'm also starting to feel depressed (another symptom) because i feel like a totally different person.

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Hello x-Lisa.W-x

Sorry to hear you are having problems at such young age but good thing is you seem to have at least an understanding of it and you trying to get rid of your symptoms. Like patch boy said best thing would be to speak to your doctor first of all and get your blood tests done. Cold hands and feet are one of the thyroid symptoms but some people with low thyroid also have warm hands and feet so don't let one of two symptoms think of you that you suffer from thyroid disease. It's always good to do thorough check up to diagnose the basic problem first of all.

I'd say ask for Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, Ferritin and Full Blood Count too. I know low Vitamin B12 levels are quite similar to low thyroid so better get them done. It could be simply a mild case of hypothyroid or anything else so speak with your doctor in detail and good luck

Do let us know how you get on.

I went to the doctor today and told them my symptoms but I didn't mention my thyroid. They told me that most of my symptoms were normal for people my age group, but they also said i should get the following blood tests done: A Full Blood Count, U&E, LFT, Glucose (Diabetes), Thyroid Function Test and Ferritin. They said that it's probably Iron deficiency anaemia but i doubt it. One symptom of Iron Deficiency is PICA (when you crave inedible food such as ice). I used to eat ice a lot (and i would suffer withdrawal symptoms if i had gone without ice for a couple of hours), and crave clay,sand,grass etc..(Although i didn't actually eat them) but now i take supplements that contain more than enough iron so the craving is gone but other symptoms such as tiredness are still there, that's why i doubt that it is anaemia.

Baby Moderator Achievements:

Country
    UK

there may be some link as you stated your grandmother has the condition, when you go to the doctor for the results ask if you can have a print out- thats what i do each and everytime just for my own records as when i started the receptionist told me my thyroid was normal & the gp said it was border line. let us know how you get on

All the tests came back normal which is good. BUT I might have Hypertension which is not a surprise at all since my mum has it, but its mild, and so does my dad and it runs through to the family. They took my blood pressure and it was 140/90. I have to go to doctors again another day. Hopefully i can lower it somehow and not have to take medication.

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense