Thread: Weight gain paranoia

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Weight gain paranoia

Hi here's the thing...

Since 2006 have been tested for underactive thyroid and has come back in blood tests as fluctuating between slightly under and normal. I then got it retested about 2 months ago and it came back normal (the Dr said maybe my pregnancy this year had brought it back to normal range), but as I started to get dry skin on my hands a patch on my leg and the back of my neck (a new symptom) and gained more weight, despite the exercise you get having a baby & that I walk more now than I previously had, and my hair had started to fall out even more, so saw the Dr and got bloods tested again. This time it turns out (from an answer message from the receptionist) that the Dr wants to see me because my test came back as overactive and looks like they're going to give me the drugs for it.

I'm confused because I was under the impression that overactive can't put on weight, and underactive do put on weight therefore how can I be overactive!? Also other symptoms I thought were only associated with underactive. I'm really confused!

Now I'm in a situation where I'm 4 sizes bigger than I should be (gone from borderline normal/overweight to obese) and am concerned that the drugs they give me are going to make me even fatter in which case am tempted to just leave them for the sake of not being depressed due to obesity. I've been self-conscious for years and this will only make it worse.

Does anybody else have information on the drug effects on weight gain in a similar situation or anything else that might be helpful? Or perhaps some good questions I could ask my Dr as I'm seeing her tomorrow morning to sort out my blood results & drugs so would be really helpful if anybody who's had a similar situation could provide some good questions that I may ask the Dr.

Mel

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Re: Weight gain paranoia

Update:

Well have seen the Dr and apparently my thyroid has shot up fairly high so am now overactive. However, still no drugs for it until another blood test (surprise surprise) which I'm getting done tomorrow morning, so going to have to wit the whole weekend at least before I know what happens next.

She said there are 2 scenarios:- the 1st is that i may eveloped graves disease since having the baby in which case will get treatment provided the blood test confirms it... the second is that she will assume my thyroid will fix itself if the blood test is closer to normal again.

Either way despite going up & down for the past almost 4 years, it will only be treated if the levels in this next blood test are still overactive! I will not be treated if Im still going up & down. Meaning, just have to deal/live with the skin problems, lack of energy, the fairly rapid weight gain, tiredness, stress, feeling low, etc etc etc...

Im so annoyed because the Dr made me wait 50minutes for her to tell me she's still not going to treat me even though I was told this was the whole point in me going in! And now I might not get treated at all and just have to live with all these symptoms!

Sorry for the rant

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Re: Weight gain paranoia

Hi Mel,

I am not sure but I think it could be due to some antibodies which attack your thyroid hence reduction in thyroid hormones. Pituitary gland then senses this and commands your thryoid gland to produce more thyroid so what happens is that your thyroid is producing more hormones but then your anitbodies go down and you get overactive symptoms. To be honest with you, I have never understood the whole scenario but whatever is it...it's all to do with something upsetting the body and body not being able to handle it properly.

Your doctor is right, there is times which you go through rough patch and then your thyroid will correct itself...perhaps after three months or may be after 3 years? Nobody has the answer.

What doctors are totally ignorant of is that they say your levels are within range but if the person is not feeling well that surely means there is something not right otherwise why would someone go to doctor? Shamefully they dont want to be told this and if you do, they get upset.

You'll just have to deal with it but if your thyroid is in push/pull situation, you'll feel swinging between hypo and hyper and you might put on a lot of weight or lose a lot....depending on genetics and diet etc.

It's always good to hear as everyone has different cases so you can easily see no two patients can have identical treatment. If you get results, post them and better to keep a record of all results so you can actually analyse what's been going on with your body.

Good luck and keep us informed

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense