User Tag List

Thread: Still In Shock Over Routine Labwork

Still In Shock Over Routine Labwork

Because of a prescription medication that I take (not related to the thyroid), I get routine bloodwork done four times a year. Once or twice a year, my dr. adds the routine TSH test to this bloodwork, and my thyroid level has always been normal. (I am a female and 50 years old). At my dr. appointment this week, imagine my shock, when my doctor said that the bloodwork shows that my thyroid is underactive. She said that it was a little bit underactive. Because I've never had any problems in this area, I was shocked & really didn't know what questions to ask the doctor, other than "what does that mean"? She scheduled for me to have an ultrasound of my thyroid done next week, and then additional bloodwork...Free T4, Thyroglobulin Antibodies, and Thyroperoxidase Antibodies. I have no idea if I've had any symptoms of hypothyrodism, because I'm not tired or cold all the time, and so many symptoms that I've read about seem to overlap with so many other illnesses. At this point, I'm upset, because this is all so new to me. I don't like the thought of possibly having to go on medication for the rest of my life for this. Any advice?

Robin

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Re: Still In Shock Over Routine Labwork

So sorry to hear that but the medication for life is far better than being poorly. You need proper testing and then to take the medication asap - it takes time to build up to your required level - blood tests will show when all is even. The alternative can be to become vegetative, feel absolutely sick and lousy and live with the possibility of a heart attack. Sorry - sounds like I am being harsh but medication is essential. Noone likes taking it but it is better than the alternative. Good luck - hope you get it sorted soon. Do not ignor thfis. Best wishes.

Junior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Re: Still In Shock Over Routine Labwork

I was hyperthyroid and after treatment was told I'd have to take tablets for the rest of my life and I was horrified and frantic - I am so bad at remembering, and highly disorganised to boot. However, once you've got going with the tabs (tiny and easy to take but do wash it down with a good drink of water) you don't have to stress about taking them absolutely spot on the same time each day because the thyroxine does build up in one's system, you won't conk out if you're late taking a tab or even if you miss a day. Otherwise I'd be dead by now

It still weighs me down if I dwell on it, but... "a day at a time".

clemenzina

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense