User Tag List

Thread: Everything's normal, but I have a goitre!

Everything's normal, but I have a goitre!

I started having a swollen sore neck in the thyroid area approx 8 weeks ago. I had a hard time swallowing and extreme pain at times. I seen my family doctor and she said I have a swollen thyroid. I ended up in the emergency department because of pain and they ran lab tests and an x ray. All which were normal, including an ultrasound on my thyroid. I also had a barium swallow which was normal, but I still have a palpable goitre with neck pain and ear pain. I do smoke and have developed a cough over the last 4 or so weeks. I see an endocrinologist on the 7th of January.

I was wondering if anyone can help. A little bit of extra info, antibody screen was normal, vit D, vit B12, glucose, TSH T3, T4 were all normal. What could be causing this pain and swelling and tightness in my neck? Please help. I have been searching and searching the internet but have only come up with thyroid diseases.

Thank you so much for you time!

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry

Blog Entries

Re: Everything's normal, but I have a goitre!

I feel your pain. I've had the same problem. I was diagnosed with an multi-nodule Goiter Feb 2007, sick since Dec 2006. I have had the swallow test (yuck!), biopsies and seen 3 Endos since. All said my numbers were normal, but I continued to get symptoms of both Hyper and Hypo thyroidism episodes lasting for months at a time. My GP stated she thought I had Hashmoto and/or thyroiditist attacks but Endos said nope all my symptoms were not related because my "numbers" were within normal range, high normal but normal just the same. Got the call yesterday from my newest Endo stating yep he sees a problem and I am set for a Radioactive Iodine test on Monday and Tuesday. All I can say is keep track of your symptoms and continue to get your T3/T4 tested, document everything and continue to see Endocrinologist until you find one that will listen. This latest Endo said since my numbers have continued to climb every 6 months since 2007 and my thyroid gland and one large nodule have also grown since my 2008 scan, that something is definately not right. Finally someone taking me seriously. Good luck and hang in there.

Angie

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense