User Tag List

Thread: another newbie

Junior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

another newbie

Hi there

I have been suffering with thyroid problems for over three years now, I was initially diagnosed as severely hyper and, after been unsuccesfully treated with meds for a year had RAI therapy and then went severely hypo.

I am now on what my endo describes as 'industrial quantities' of both T4 and T3 (350 mg and 90mcg daily respectively) and my hormone levels are still not under control. I am still suffering from a whole heap of symptoms - including feet so swollen i cannot get shoes on most days, extreme fatigue and my hair is still falling out. Obviously, I've got depression too and because of the weight I have gained over the last few years I now suffer from sleep apnoea and have to use a CPAP machine to regulate my breathing.

I have been unable to work because of what has been going on and am now receiving incapacity benefit. My employers sent me for a medical to see if I could be retired on medical grounds. The doctor concluded that, despite the fact that meds have failed to work for three years, my condition is not permanent and can be resolved through medication and therefore, although I was clearly still unfit to return to work, I'm not ill enough to be retired medically. Talk about being between a rock and a hard place! Ironically, the doctor who examined me was a hypo sufferer himself who was on levothyroxine and symptom free. He accused me of 'non-compliance' and suggested that I was not in fact taking my meds.. which is absolutely not true.

As for the treatment I've received.. well, my GP and endo are both very nice people, sympathetic etc, but I just feel that their answer to everything is to up the dose each time my blood test results come back, leave it for a while and wait to see what happens. I don't know if I should be seeking a second opinion now.

Am I on a really really high dose? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could try? (My endo does not believe in Armour and refuses to treat patients who take it and given my finances at the moment I couldn't afford to buy it myself anyway.)

Having had a look through previous posts I can see that I'm not alone in what has been happening but I would really appreciate any advice/suggestions from you guys out there.

Apologies if I've waffled on for too long!

dipity

Administrator Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

Re: another newbie

dipity, glad you found us!!

I like your name BTW. Have a look around and if you have any questions fire away!

Take care
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense