User Tag List

Thread: 6 different generics

6 different generics

Hi everyone,
    I have now been hypo for 2 years and when finally diagnosed with a TSH60 and virtually no T4 I was in a very very bad way. Anyway since then I have been given various generic versions of Thyroxine and sometimes I don't I have periods of feeling pretty crap and I have started to wonder whether it could be down to the ever changing drugs I am given. No two prescriptions are the same and so far I have been given drugs from 6 different manufactures. I'm now keeping a record of how I feel on what drug something I should have done from the start. My questions are -

What are the chances in the UK of getting put on a branded drug? I understand they are more expensive but I suspect not that much.

many thanks
    Sheila

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Re: 6 different generics

This is definitely not a good thing, Sheila, but not easy to convince either your doctor or pharmacist of
    this. The different brands do vary slightly in strength and allso have different fillers in them. Could you
    have a word with your pharmacist and tell him that you feel better on brand X and ask him to always supply that to you. I did this with mine, and if they dispense the wrong sort I now refuse them until they get the
    correct sort in. You need consistency of brand.

Another thing you can try is to use Superdrug. I understand they only dispense Eltroxin, which is reckoned
    to be the best anyway. Unfortunately I dont have a branch near me.

I recently read that pharmacies were going to be allowed to substitute generic drugs for named varieties
    without consulting the doctor, this will be a bad day for patients when this does come about.

Good luck

Ginny

Administrator Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

Maybe if you cant get your GP to prescribe a brand name Levo, you could possibly buy privately, about 5pence per tablet??

fingers crossed, I hope you feel better all the time soon!!

Keep us posted thumbup
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

Junior Member Achievements:

Thank you both for the response. Unfortunately my prescription is filled at the surgery dispensary so I just get what I'm given. I would be interested to know if anyone actually gets Eltroxin prescribed anymore. I think I read possibly on this site that the price difference per month is only a few pence. I need to get on one drug for a few months as I'm sure all this chopping and changing is bad for me.
    Also does this drug get weaker the closer to the expiry date as I have a range of different dates on all the various generics.
    Sheila

Administrator Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

I have heard that Superdrug pharmacies dispense Eltroxin as standard
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

Senior Member Achievements:

Country
    UK

I understand the expiry date is the date up to which the efficacy of the product is "guaranteed" and
    after which it starts to lose potency. Or so we are told.

You are not obliged to have your prescription dispensed at the surgery pharmacy, that is entirely a matter of choice. Most people tend to do this for convenience but it is not obligatory so if you have a repeat
    prescription just ask to have it. You can now get precriptions filled online, and they come through the post,
    but there again I doubt you could guarantee getting the same sort each time.

Your best bet would be to get hold of your prescription and if you dont have a convenient Superdrug then
    try Boots or Tesco or one of the big pharmacies, and have a word with them first before you hand it over and say you insist on consistency and if the cannot provide it, go elsewhere.

Ginny

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense