User Tag List

Thread: New Member

Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Country
    United States

Hello,

I'm happy to have found this site. I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and am only taking 25 mcg. of Synthroid. I was told by the pharmacist that the dosage will certainly be increased by my doctor and that the medicine is hard to manage. After a couple of weeks I thought I felt a tad better, but this week I am again almost fatigued as before.

for having this site available.

Wes

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Re: New Member

Hello Wes and to the forum, do have a good look around and I hope you like what you see.

Patients are usually started on a low dose of Levothyroxine as it does take a little while for the body to
    adapt to this new found hormone which has been in short supply for some time, and it can take about six weeks for it to show in the bloods. You should then have another blood test followed by an increase in
    dosage and another 6-8 week wait before repeating the proceedure, until your doctor is satisfied with
    your blood tests and you no longer have symptoms. Most people do very well on T4 (Synthroid) alone, but
    there is a large minority who find this regime does not suit well. These are usually the people who come to the forums, as the lucky ones are off enjoying life.

25 mcg is only a small dose, and you well may find that although you feel a little better at first your symptoms will return as you become due for an increase, but to increase too fast can make you very ill, so
    I'm afraid it has to be a slow and steady procdess, after all it probably took several years for you to become
    hypothyroid

Do let us know how you get on

Ginny

Member Achievements:

Country
    United States

Ginny, thanks for the welcome and the good information. That makes sense that the adjustment of the med would be slow if the body is slow to adjust to it. I didn't know that. So, starting out at a much larger dose may not be a good idea for the reason?

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Well I cannot speak from personal experience but many times I have read that when people start on a
    dose that was roo high for them (not necessarily a very high dose but too much for their systems to cope with) and they felt even worse and couln't understand why. When the dose was reduced and gradually allowed to build up then they improved.

And yet some people when they have had a very high TSH have been started on 100 mcg and just sailed
    though fine. Your doctor has been cautious and started you in the traditional way which has been tried
    and tested - we become impatient to begin to feel better, but Thyroid disease cannot be hurried.

And we are all so very different and all react differently to our meds, this is what makes the replacement
    of thyroid hormones so difficult. Those who have a text book response are very lucky,

Ginny

Member Achievements:

Country
    United States

Ginny, thanks. Again, very helpful. I will be patient and give it time.

Wes

Administrator Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

Hi Wes to the site, we are glad you found us!!!

Keep us posted wontcha thumbup
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

Member Achievements:

Country
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Thyroid Guy
    Keep us posted wontcha thumbup
    Will do!

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org