User Tag List

Thread: Interpret my results please (hypothyroid)

Junior Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Country
    Ireland

Interpret my results please (hypothyroid)

I just received my blood results back today. I was tested in my family planning clinic so I need to make an appointment with my regular doctor to deal with it. The results make me hypothyroid but I don't know if its just slight or moderate or really anything about it. So any insight into my levels much appreciated.

Free t4: L 7.2 pmol/L (10.5 - 22.0)

TSH: H 10.2 mIU/L (0.27 - 4.2)

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Re: Interpret my results please (hypothyroid)

Hi Glitterbug and welcome to the forum, Sorry to learn that you are hypothyroid, but it is good
    to have positive blood tests. Your results do definitely show that you are hypo, in France or Germany
    people are diagnosed with a TSH of 3, but now in the UK they will not start giving meds until the
    TSH reaches 10, so you should qualify to start Levothyroxine immediately. The T4 is well below range
    too, most people on medication feel best with a T4 in the top quartile of the range and a TSH of about 1.

Your doctor should be starting you on a small dose of Levothyroxine to enable to body to get used to the hormones, then after about six weeks you should have a blood test to see how your levels are doing,
    followed by an increase in levo. to bring your levels down further. And so on until your doctor is
    satisfied with your blood tests. You will be entitled to free prescriptions for life once you have a firm
    diagnosis of Hypothyroidism

It is best to take your tablet first thing in the morning with a drink of water, and not to eat or have a hot drink for at least half an hour after - this is to get maximum absoption.

How do you feel, do you have many symptoms, tiredness, sleeping lots, depression

Ginny

Country
    Ireland

for the reply Ginny, very helpful. I actually had my appointment with my own doctor today. I brought the blood test result from family planning and he said it did mean i was hypo but that he'd have to do his own tests before prescribing me with anything first. Especially because I'm young, 22, he didnt just want to be stickin me straight on it. So he took 3 blood samples. I'm not sure what else he's checking for but I'm going to ask for a copy of all my results so I can look into those also.

I'm just glad to be getting somewhere now. I think my symptoms just started at the end of May. I gained 20lbs in 8 weeks even tho I was watching what i ate and exercising 5 days a week. And I havnt had a period since the end of May either. The whole thing is a bit of a mess really - i quit smoking and came off the pill in Feb/March and was putting my symptoms down to those changes. Really only got my thyroid tested to rule it out because my mum had an overactive thyroid at one point. I've been feeling down for quite a while but I thought that was because of the weight gain more than anything. When i told the doc my symptoms today and he asked if I'd being feeling down I actually just burst into tears! And you know how when you really try to stop crying it makes it even harder to stop! I'm not even usually the crying type.. I think its good to let it out when you need to but I've been crying daily for no reason. Something doesnt even have to upset me and I'm fighting back the tears. Its very strange to me. The doc was very nice to me tho.

God this is getting long, sorry!! I'm looking forward to getting a prescription for something though! Hopefully I'll see some positive changes then. You mentioned that i'd be entitled to free prescriptions for life once properly diagnosed.. I hadnt heard that.. and also I'm in Ireland so I wonder if that would be different here? Also, do you know how long it would usually take before I start to feel better or am able to lose weight?

THANKS

Country
    UK

Hello Glitterbug, , glad things are moving along for you now. I hope one of the tests your doc. did was for thyroid antibodies, because if other members of your famiy have thyroid problems too it is most likely to be autoimmune thyroditis, commonly called Hashimoto's. This is the most usual type of hypothyroid and makes no difference to the treatment, but sometimes those who have one autoimmune disease are more susceptible to another. Yes, do ask for a printout of you resultswith the lab ranges on as these vary around the country, and it helps to interpret them.

Weight gain, irregular periods, depression. these are all part of the daark side of hypothyroidism, but
    hopefully when you are on levothyroxine you will begin to improve. However, it wont be a quick fix, as it
    takes at least six weeks for the hormones to show in the blood and increases in dosage have to be taken
    slowly to give the body time to adjust. But the bright side is, you have not been ill for long (some people
    suffer for years before being diagnosed) and it usually works out that the longer you have been ill the longer it takes to recover, so time is on your side! If you respond well to the levothyroxine you could be feeling
    more like your old self by this time next year.

It is possible that your hypothyroidism was triggered by the stress of giving up smoking, I have read many
    times that packing up was followed a few months later by Hypo, or sometimes by a car accident, and very
    often by childbirth. I guess its just stress itself that triggers it, in all its different forms.

When you get your results, post them on the forum(if you want to, that is) and someone will try to interpret them for you.

Ginny

Country
    Ireland

Thank you again Ginny for all the info. I'm not sure what else the doctor tested for but I imagine he tested for thyroid antibodies. He did mention Hashimotos at one point anyways. I will definately post my results when I get them. And the lab ranges.

I had read that there was a link between quitting smoking and the onset of hypo somewhere but I didnt realise it was stress that caused it. Is this why people get it after having a baby so often - ie. is it the actual stress or some other medical reason after childbirth? My mum had hyperthyroidism after giving birth years ago (to me!). Actually, coming to think of it, my symptoms started around the same time as I was doing exams in college aswell, that might have contributed a bit aswell. I started back at college today so at least that will help take my mind off things a bit - plus its a 20min walk each way, 5 days, so that should help too. I'm sure there are loads of people suffering much worse and for much longer than me, so I really dont mean to be self pitying.

Anyways, thanks again Ginny. You seem very knowledgable on this... and I'm sure you find yourself repeating the same info over and over to newbies here like me but I appreciate you taking the time out to answer me.

Country
    UK

Ginny does know a lot and has said it all really. I started hypo - Hashimoto's - in the family so I'd have got it anyway prob - when I stopped smoking and at the same time got streesed because my granddaughter was late being born plus I'd had stress at work. . Hope you get things startedd as soon as poss. anni

Baby Moderator Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Posting AwardDiscussion Ender

Country
    UK

Can't add any more to what Ginny said either really, she said it all. Just wanted to say, get your Ferritin, B12, folate, VITAMIN D, tested hon. Depending on how long you have been hypo you could have any of these low which will make your hormone therapy not so effective when you get on it.
    Congrats on stopping smoking, yes, it does seem that many start hypo after stopping smoking because it messes with your hormones, the chemicals in the smoke stimulate and probably (hypothesis lol) as they drop off your body starts to show the deficiency. I stopped 6 months ago but was already on therapy so never noticed the difference.
    Good luck with the blood tests.
    x Dawn x
    ''If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.'' The Cheshire Cat, Alice in Wonderland

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense