User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New blood test says thyroid normal but don't feel good?

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registeredCreated Blog entry1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

New blood test says thyroid normal but don't feel good?

Hi,

So recently I've been having some trouble getting the right dose of levothyroxine - I was fine and then all of a sudden I dropped right back to where I started, as if I wasn't even being treated for hypothyroidism.

I've just (last week) got back a blood test result which shows that I am normal (finally). My problem is that I don't feel as good as I should do - the first time I went from hypo to normal I was absolutely loving it and aside from my stomach getting worse, all the symptoms went. This time it is super-slow and the main changes I have noted are these: main symptoms are a little (note the 'little' here) better; exercise, when I am doing it, is much easier and I notice that I can push myself much harder than I could. The problem is that these symptoms are still here and that, when last year I decided I was going to 'work with' it and exercise as much as I could, this time I simply cannot gather the motivation or energy to do enough.

I am wondering if people find that it takes time for all the symptoms to go away - that even with a normal blood test, it may still be a few more weeks before you feel right? I think this might've happened last year when I went from hypo to normal.

Otherwise could it be something else? I've had a load of other tests - almost all are normal but there are a few odd results in them; I'm still waiting for one more to come back. My stomach is also driving me a little mad at the moment

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Re: New blood test says thyroid normal but don't feel good?

Hi SbM
    Have seen your blogs n stuff - hope things are going well!
    I am much older than you but even when my bloods are in good range and I am taking the recommended level of levo I still have many symptoms. Whether they will eventually go, I don't know, but I have been like this since diagnosed 10 mths ago. The symptoms are not as dramatic as they were, when I was quite poorly, but they are still with me.
    I have Hashimoto's and am hypo. I had a throat scan recently and the doc said my thyroid looks well eaten - with anitibody attacks - I am not sure if it ever gets completely eaten so then the symptoms disappear and I'll be straight hypo? My GP thinks I shouldn't have any symptoms but a Gastro said I will have symptoms with Hash, so it is difficult as it is the GP who manages m,y general health!
    This doesn't answer your questions, I know, sorry.
    Hope you sort things out soon and that you feel better and carry on the good work! Take care, anni

Country
    UK

PS
    Hope tum settles soon - I have become milk and gluten intolerant since starting all this and have changed my diet big style. Not sure if that is relevant but the change has stopped me getting bloated and having tummy ache.

Country
    UK

Hi there SBM, sorry to hear you are not feeling too good ATM, but I believe that if you are treating
    to blood tests using TSH as a guide you are unlikely to completely regain full health.
    I see you are on 125 mcg of Levothyroxine, and yet still do not feel well, perhaps a little T3 might
    help. T4 is an inactive hormone which has to be converted by the body into T3, and sometimes this
    conversion process does not always work as well as it should and enough T3 doesn't get into the cells.

Perhaps when you see your endo in October you could ask for a trial of a small amount of T3, this
    really can make a big difference to how you feel. T3 is very active in the brain too and helps to clear
    "brain fog" and lift depression.

Something more you can do to help yourself, there are other diseases associated with Thyroid Disease, some of which can mimic the symptoms, like Candida and Low B12, ferritin and folate, and other
    things like low Vit D , Vit C. zinc, and selenium levels can block the absorption of thyroid hormones.
    You should try to eliminate any of these deficiencies you may have

Most people on thyroid treatment feel better when their TSH is about 1, and the T4 and T3 in the top quartile of their respective ranges. Hope you find this helpful

Ginny

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Everyone gets different symptoms and some symptoms go away quickly, some last forever. Trouble is you have to see yourself how your body is reacting to thyroxine.

I have always been on 150mcg which I thought was the final for me but then I went up to 200mcg just to test and was on it for 4 months. At that I thought that's final now. Now I am on 250mcg and feel this has to be the final step lol.....Everytime TSH keeps going down and now I am down to 0.4 from 3.

Had a few thyroid tests in my family and all of them had a TSH of less than 0.3 so I reckon I've got to it even lower to start feeling abolustely normal.

On the other hand, women are different. Like Ginny said, it may be worth having a trial of T3 but bear in mind that T3 is quite active hormone and is tough to your heart so you may get some initial hyper symptoms which shouldnt last long....dont know myself to be honest. Never had a dose to T3.

Keep us posted as it helps to understand how different people react to medicines and if their symptoms last any longer.

Sunny sunday so have a very good day

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registeredCreated Blog entry1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

everyone for your help, this is all really useful.

About the T3...every time I have a thyroid function test done my endo asks for T3 but the result is never shown on the sheet - I assume that it is normal anyway, but T3 is something that I have been thinking about, and now that you have mentioned this I will defo ask my endo. I am going to call him tomorrow to book an app as I am not happy with my stomach symptoms despite just starting to try peppermint oil capsules.

My TSH from this last blood test is normal and low: 0.64 - which is why I'm a little confused about why these symptoms haven't gone yet, so again, thanks for your help - I'll ask about this.

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

If your adrenals are compromised than there will be all unused thyroxine in the blood which will drop your TSH quite low...this will make typical person think that you are hyper while you would actually be hypo.

You will, thought experience hyper symptoms despite being hypo because adrenals function is really needed to take thyroxine into the cells. It's all quite complicated

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense