User Tag List

Thread: Womens problems

Womens problems

Hi,

I'm new here. I was diagnosed with severe hypothyroidism about 6 weeks ago, in fact the doctor said it was one of the worst she had ever seen... I am 24 years old and i was feeling like crap all year until i finally went to the doctors when i had a panic attack and was suffering from severe twitching in the muscles in my legs, thighs, bum and arms. I started on 50mg of levothyroxine and it has been recently put up to 75mg. I had a period last month just after i started taking the medication, but so far this month there has been nothing, not even a sign of it. I'm feeling a little worried and stressed about this now. My doctors are rubbish, in fact the 1st one i saw told me about the hypothyroidism and said the rest of the blood test results didn't matter and when i went back 4 weeks later a different doctor told me i was pretty anaemic and also there could be a problem with my kidneys. I feel no one around me really understands how i feel when i try to explain what is happening with my body, especially my boyfriend. I've lost my sex drive completely, i think my boyfriend just thinks i'm lazy or that he is the reason i dont want to sleep with him-even tho i have said countless times it was me not him-even before i had my diagnosis.

I feel so sad and lonely and want to spend most of the time hidden under my duvet. I also put on a stone and a half and it's really hit my self confidence and i feel that i am at an all time low. Anyone have any suggestions on what i can do to feel better?

Katie

Baby Moderator Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Re: Womens problems

hi katie, to the forum.
    sorry to hear that your feeling so poorly, i as many others here totally understand you- me being hypo myself, im still only on 50mcg of levo and have been for nearly 6mths even though they said my last test shows it wasnt quite adequate !!! im totally with you on the lack of sex drive dont think my other half completely understands it but we are getting there, i wish there was a magic wand to make things better- the one thing im doing to help my self is slimming world as i put a stone on, lacked confidence and energy im sure the others who have suffered longer will be able to help more

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Hi
    Poor you. I am more than twice your age and still have problems sorting out my hormones and am sick of doctors blaming my age and the menopause for some of my symptoms. I feel for younger women who have the added burden of periods.
    Firstly - hypothyroidism is very closely connected to hormones and will influence your periods. Yes, it also makes you fat, bloated, have no libido, ache, lack concentration, have brain fog, affect your skin and nails, make you hot one minute and freezing the next, make you heat and cold intolerant, may affect your food/drink intolerances (I am now lacto and gluten intolerant) and make you feel very, very, very tired.
    Wow.
    But, secondly, you do start to feel better. YOU DO! You need to have blood tests taken quite often at first and the GP will, depending on your results, let you build up to a level of medication that suits your condition. it took me about 8 months to get to my present level. If you are straight hypothyroid you should then be ok- need to take tablets every day for the rest of your life but you'll feel ok - just need a blood check every 6-12 months. If you have an auto-immune condition which is affecting your thryoid - Hashimoto's Disease, like me, your symptoms will still fluctuate and you may need testing more frequently. You should find out this. GPs don't seem to realise that one can have a lot of the yukky symptoms listed above EVEN THOUGH the blood results might look balanced - but that is for the future.
    I feel MUCH better than I did when I was really poorly. You will, too, when you work up to higher levels. Your partner must understand that you are not lazy, that you feel like a slug and cannot summon much energy nevermind anything else, but given time, you will regain some sense of fun. Let him read the posts on here. My husband, luckily, understands. I feel dead from the waist down - I was never like this before - I have always enjoyed a lovely loving intimacy with my husband. You will regain libido - as I will -eventually.
    Please don't give in. It is hard but you can achieve and find most of the old you. I haver found bits of a new me, also -I am less worried now, less stressed- I am back to my old weight- I have changed my diet - I eat loads of fruit, have cut out bread and milk, I make sure I get protein and some carbohydrate. I have started drinking green and white tea as I am over-reactive so coffee makes me a bit loopy. But I feel better for my healthy diet. This is less than a year since I was diagnosed. I have good and bad days but I have started to exercise again and my skin is looking good. Read as much as you can on the condition - here is great - I also have read Mary Shomon and loads of other stuff. The more you know the more you can do for yourself.
    Please don't despair. It takes time but within a few months you will regain a lot of the old you. Be assertive with your GP an try to get to see an Endocrinologist. Get to understand your blood results. You are worth the effort of getting this sorted. Take care. Best wishes, anni

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Hi Katie and welcome to the forum. I think Annie has just about said it all, but remember when
    you feel down you can always come on here and have a good rant to folk who will understand, and
    sometimes we have a good laugh too.

Regarding the anaemia, thyroid disease very often depletes ferritin (iron stores), but it can also affect
    your levels of Vitamin B12 and folate(B9). These vitamins work together to give the good healthy blood
    you need to move the thyroid hormones around the body, so you should have your ferritin, folate and
    B2 checked. Many doctors are quite happy if they fall anywhere within range, but to be optimal you need ferritin to be at least 90, B12 should ideally be between 500 and 1000 and folate above half range.

The symptoms of anaemia mimic those of hypothyroidism, so it is difficult to know which problem is
    causing each symptom.

Did your doctor tell you to take your thyroxine first thing in the morning with a glass of water, and not to eat or drink for at least half an hour (or an hour if you can manage). This ensures maximum absorption.
    And your prescriptions will be free now for all medication, you should have a certificate which is renewable every ten years, from your doctor.

Read as much as you can about thyroid disease, it will help you to understand how and why you feel as you do.

Ginny

do

Junior Member Achievements:

Hi to all the ladies out there - I am new here - and would like to offer what has helped me emensely.

First of all read my new post in the Depression section regarding IgG food allergies and depression - this may be something you want to test for. Secondly I have a posts under Cytomel that discusses alot of the tests and methods my new holistic doctor has helped me with. I cannot recommend highly enough how a holistic doctor can turn you around. They are prevention based and are adept at looking at your whole body and how it relates together!! Yes, they will probably be higher in price - but my husband and I have finally determined the reality of this: INSURANCE IS NOT HEALTH CARE!!!

All of our AMA doctors were clueless to our seemingly unrelated health issues - and yet our holistic doctor (who is out of network with all insurance companies) turned us around within 3 office visits...that was initially expensive, however, I am telling you WE GOT RESULTS!!! REAL RESULTS!!! And now we are getting to the point that we will only have to see her once a year or every six months. WOW WOW WOW

So here is another method she used to turn me around. After I had my thyroid removed my periods stopped!
    She measured my hormones and has put me on the Wylie Protocol
    http://www.thewileyprotocol.com/
    Read the site, and they have referrals. Read also "Sex, Lies and Menapause" by Wiley
    Read also "Ageless" by Suzanne Sommers....I'll post more in a second post

Junior Member Achievements:

My second post regarding the Wylie Protocol.
    The Wylie Protocol is bio-identical hormones mixed into a cream. It is estrodial and progesterone. It is compounded just for you by authorized pharmacies around the country. A myriad of studies in Europe and the USA are finding it to be the preventor of cancers, dementia, stroke and other maladies that occur when you run out of hormones (menapause for women, and andropause for men) The Wylie Protocol has a protocol for men as well. It is not Pharamacutical (spelling?) like the mare's urine that was sited to cause heart issues and strokes and blood clots in a recent FDA Women's Health Initiative that was cancelled, it is rather just the opposite - it is bio-identical to your body - and actually is being proven to prevent heart issues and strokes and blood clots.....

But - I am not a doctor - so read the site, read the books I reference in my earlier posts and decide for yourself - as for me I feel remarkable and have been on it for 3 months. I have a period every month now - the hormones are telling my body that I am once again VIABLE AND FULL OF HORMONES....

I would also google this book title (I don't have the authors off the top of my head) ULTRAPREVENTION....which is a very wonderful book on the holistic approach to medicine. I will not ever be returning to the standard of care that the AMA is fast becoming....with the exception of crisis care (i.e. emergency or necessary surgery)

To your better health...Kimbob

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense