User Tag List

Thread: Research about awareness

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registeredCreated Blog entry1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Research about awareness

Hi, be prepared - this is going to be a long one!

I am making a survey on polldaddy.com for people to take about awareness of thyroid disease. I'm making it because recently I've been asking people: 'Had you ever heard of thyroid disease before I told you about it?' and, unless people have a friend or family member, or have had their own personal experience of it, the answer tends to be "no." As yet I've only asked a few people, but I am really interested to find out more. Do people in the sports professions know about it? Not from what I've heard so far. Should they? I think they should - the thyroid affects the entire body and therefore surely it is something that an instructor, teacher, or whatever of sports, should know about and be able to understand and spot should they need to?

I would like to gather a list, preferably official if I can, but I cannot find anything on the internet about it - on who, in what professions, should know about thyroid disease. If you have any ideas of where to look for this information, or can just post who you think should know, this would be great.

I'd also like to know whether or not thyroid disease is anywhere on the UK school syllabus - for GCSE and below, and then for A Level and below. If it is, when was it first placed on there? If it isn't, was it ever? And when do people start learning about it in education? University - what courses, what levels? Medicine, yes, but any others? Are there any other qualifications in which you learn at least briefly about it? And, if it's not on our syllabus, is it on the US one, or anywhere else in the world?

On the s-cool revision website, in the GCSE biology section, it mentions the thyroid: http://www.s-cool.co.uk/gcse/biology...t-are-hormones
    But all it says is: "controls activity and heat in body".
    In the PE GCSE section it is mentioned, but all it says is: "The thyroid gland: produces thyroxine that controls the speed at which oxygen and food products are burned up to produce energy."
    It is also mentioned in a Psychology A Level multiple choice quiz about stress.
    I have just looked in my old science textbooks from GCSE (I knew they'd come to some use someday!) and found absolutely NOTHING relating to the thyroid! I completed my GCSE's in 2007, and the only disease we studied of some use to us was diabetes. The only hormones in the books are testosterone etc - not even that some people may have varying levels of these hormones! In other words, you study the stuff that isn't useful! But then, we all already knew that, didn't we? :-P

I am hoping that the results from this survey will help me understand a little more about the situation of awareness of thyroid disease, and this way I can direct articles in my blog (http://www.thyroidlife.blogspot.com) to target this effectively. If I do end up shocked by the lack of awareness, particularly if there are professions which should know about it where the people don't, I will seriously consider emailing one or two newspapers! You never know, it may be worth it!

The survey will not be completely random as I don't have the facilities to do that, and it is probably best if thyroid patients don't take it, but when it's made I will paste the link in here - please refer it to your friends and other Facebook contacts! , and please let me know what you think.

Louise

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registeredCreated Blog entry1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Re: Research about awareness

Here is the link:

http://surveys.polldaddy.com/s/54DB982263517C3B/

Please ask your friends to take it.

Administrator Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

Re: Research about awareness

Louise, you are wise beyond your years for sure. Your so active and keen to bring attention, and raise awareness to this awfull disease, its so refreshing, and heart warming.

I have read your blogs both on here, and your own blog. They are very well written, and presented!!!!

Keep up the great work!!!

It doesn't go unnoticed!!

If you ever want a chat, please dont hesitate to Pm me, or Email me! for contributing the the site!!

Ric thumbup

I will post a link to your poll on my blog, and on twitter too!!
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense