User Tag List

Thread: Hashimoto's

Hashimoto's

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's about4 years ago. Since then my Synthroid dose has been increased roughly every 6-12 months (50-75-88-100-112-125). I am 6ft tall and weigh 185. I have a fairly active lifestyle. I do not pretend to be a doctor. I have done my fair share of research and have come to the following conclusion:

Hashimoto's is basically a constant attack on your thyroid by your immune system. If the immune system is working overtime to relentlessly attack the thyroid, you are just going to be more tired than normal. Does anyone agree with this? Does Hashimoto's ever go away? If not, why dont they approach it like they do Graves? (I think it is Graves disease that brings on Hyperthyroidism). In these patiets, the thyroid is often removed or killed off by other means.

Any thoughts/comments on this? Imay be way off in what I am saying, but these are just some things I have thought about oer the years.

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Re: Hashimoto's

Hi ajr,

You are quite right. It's immune system attacking the thyroid hence one day your thyroid gives up. Trouble is immune system produces antibodies which actually attack the thyroid gland assuming it's a foreign material or whatever is the reason.

The trouble antibodies go up and down and so is the thyroid production. From m y understanding, in hashimoto, thyroid gland doesn't produce extra hormones to compensate for that hence lower production of thyroid hormones. In grave's it produces extra hormones and we feel hyper symptoms. Someone correct me if it's wrong?

You can see a pattern in your treatment, the thyroxine is continuously going up. I'd imagine this is due to thyroid gland dying slowly and gradually and one day it'll give up. Being 6 foot tall doesnt help I am afraid

You didnt say how old are you and what are your bad days or symptoms?

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

I am a 27 year old male. The most annoying symptom is the constant tiredness. I always feel exhausted. I am typically ready for a nap by lunch, and sometimes do take one. Another symptom is my rapidly thinning hair. Baldness is not common in my family but I am getting there fast. Dont really care about that though. If I had the energy back, I would be a happy camper!

I have alwas heard that "one day" my thyroid will die. But this could take a majority of my lifetime. Why dont they just kill it off? And being 6 ft tall is bad for this?

!

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

My GP says that once one's bloods and medication are equal one shouldn't have any symptoms. I think she thinks I imagine the severe hot and cold twists in my temperature, the dermatitis, the tiredness (never awake past 9, if I am I am like a zombie) , the aches, the many more I endure. My voice keeps going raspy and I have been referred for a camera investigation and an untrasound on my throat . OK - getting seen to but she says it cannot be an antibody attack. I know that I get these regularly but, no, not according to her. So how long before my thyroid goes, I wonder? I know that Graves symptoms an lead to heart attack, perhaps that is why it receives more attention?

Administrator Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

HI Ajr, to the site!! I too am a 27 year old man, with Thyroid disease, loads in the common there :d

Its good that your reading up and doing reasearch, as the more you know the more chance of a full recovery!

if your still tired all the time, your still Hypo! Ask your Doc for a med increase trial to see if you benefit!

Keep us posted

Ric thumbup
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense