User Tag List

Thread: Changing levothyroxine from 25mcg tablets to 100 - issue?

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registeredCreated Blog entry1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Changing levothyroxine from 25mcg tablets to 100 - issue?

Hi,

My levothyroxine dose has been increased regularly, recently to 125mcgs daily. I was taking 25mcg tablet sizes, which meant 5 tablets per day.

I have just gone and got more tablets and have been given the 100mcg tablets as well as 25mcg - so that now I'll have to take 2 tablets a day instead of 5.

I have heard alot about how a different make of tablets can affect the dose you are receiving, etc, so it may sound silly but I'm a little worried about this - will changing this affect my actual dose? The make of the 25 is the usual - Goldshield, but the 100 I'm not sure, I think it's Generics (UK) Limited. And the 25 says Levothyroxine Sodium Ph.Eur; the 100 says Levothyroxine Tablets BP.

I am not sure if I am reading too much into this, or not enough, but does anyone know if this is something to be concerned about? The chemist didn't seem to know what I was talking about

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Re: Changing levothyroxine from 25mcg tablets to 100 - issue?

I am not sure if I am reading too much into this, or not enough, but does anyone know if this is something to be concerned about? The chemist didn't seem to know what I was talking about.

It depends to be honest. I was in the same boat and didnt like it so I switched to Eltroxin and have been on that since then. Some people are more sensitive to the binders and change of brands affects them in a way that they have to increase or decrease their dosage. I guess you'll have to check and see if you feel any difference. If you do then blood tests and increase or decrease accordingly otherwise it's all good.

The whole thing creates a disturbance in your daily routine and for that reason, I switched permanently to brand so no more changes.

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

25mcg thyroxine are only made by Goldshield and one other, but there are several different producers of the higher size tablets. Some people are very sensitive to the various fillers in the thyroxine, the best you can do is try it and see if you have any adverse reaction.

If you do feel any worse, try going to Superdrug as they dispense only Eltroxine, which is reckoned to be the best. I'm pretty sure you get Eltroxine in 25mcg

Ginny

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Ginny is right. Eltroxin comes in 25mcg, 50mcg and 100mcg strengths or these are the ones which I have come across so far.

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registeredCreated Blog entry1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

everyone so much for that

I guess I will have to do what you say and wait and see what happens - my worry is that I haven't actually got that long to play around...I have another appointment with my endocrinologist in October, but in Feb I'm going to Borneo - no blood tests out there! Plus there are things I need to do beforehand, which I sorta need a working thyroid for - eek!

I think I'm going to email my endocrinologist and just let him know and ask, because so far as he knows I am taking 5 tablets of 25mcgs, and he has asked before, when my thyroid levels were so low as to show that I wasn't even being treated when actually I was, whether I had changed the make/type etc: I hadn't.

I will keep in mind what you've all said about Eltoxin, and Ginny about Superdrug (although there isn't one that near me...hmm) and see what happens.

again

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense