User Tag List

Thread: Dr disappointment

Dr disappointment

Been a tough day. Looking so forward to a new endo doc. Had my Stop The Thyroid Madness book with me for the apt. I was mostly prepared. Had the entire work-up with the nurse. The exam room and the Dr office were covered with awards. Had bloods drawn, pee'ed in a cup, got groped and checked. He declared I had no hypo symptoms! I am on 200 mcg. I gave a huge list of symptoms. 'I think something is not right.' I asked him if he prescribes Armour? He replies he would Never prescribe Armour, desicated thyroid is not consistently absorbed in the body, the pills are not consistent, and that kind of thyroid has been out of fashion for 20 years. He said No doctor he knew would prescribe that kind of thyroid medication. I asked about the symptoms I noted. He said basically it's in your head! He said the TSH test is the only test and it is the gold standard. It was basically an expensive blood test.
    He was recommended to me by a work mate who saw him and thought he was wonderful. She said he had prescribed T3 to supplement the T4. I asked about this not mentioning her name. He said he would only give T3 to a person with thyroid cancer. She did not have cancer. I was confused.
    Forgive me for starting a thread. But I wanted some positive feed back. I am disappointed but Not really surprised because he is a Dr. Science is not their strong suit.

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Re: Dr DISappointment

I am really sorry that you had such a bad time at the doctors. Symptoms are simply how YOU feel. He cannot have an opinion on that at all. Yes he can go by test results (which as we know do not reflect symptoms anyway). How dare he tell you that you have no symptoms...

I am worried today too as I have to go to my doctors to get my first lot of test results back. I am also having an ECG due to my low heart rate. Although the heart rate has increased in the last few days - I am putting this down to the heat. My symptoms all point to low thyroid but I am sure my results will be in normal limits.I am certainly expecting disappointment too.

I feel at the moment like noone believes me, in particlular my family. I am told to do more exercise (I already walk for 1.5 hours a day and run 3-4 times a week) and to eat better. My weight has increased and I am getting lots of pressure to change this. I know that losing weight for me means eating around 1000 cals a day. This makes me feel worse.... Ho Hum. Maybe I will finally get the diagnosis I want - but maybe not!

Anyway keep strong and try to find another doctor. I know that when you feel rubbish it is tempting to just sit an do nothing but keep pushing, it is the only thing you can do.

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Re: Dr DISappointment

Bubba444,

Your doctor is absolutely right. Doctors now a days have got no balls and no one will prescribe Armour as you have to understand when British Thyroid Foundation doesnt support Armour, why would a GP? Their guidelines come from BTF!

Anyway, you would hear these kind of things every day like it's all in your head, have you tried anti-depressant medicine? You dont exercise well, your eat junk food blah blah blah. You try to say that's not the case but they wont listen.

That's why we have all these forums because people who do not suffer from thyroid illness cannot understand the whole thing patient is going through.

I am a big fan of Dr. Peatfield for a reason. He himself suffer from thyroid issue and was telling me he takes 4 grains of Armour everyday and he was functioning alright.

Now I dont know myself how good Armour is as I haven't tried it myself but all other patients in the similar boat, swearing by it can't be wrong? Also you see, it's just thyroxine. Dont worry about it if you take slightly higher dose, all you are gonna feel is slight hyer for a few days and after cutting, you'll be back to where you started.

People are so much scared to increase or decrease the doses or try different brands or Armour. There is nothing to worry about it.....as long as you are healthy otherwise. Now I tell my Endo how much he should prescribe me. My TSH was 3.5 for past six months being on 150mcg. I went up to 250mcg without feeling hyper? Then dropped it back to 200mcg and now have been on it for more than six months. My TSh is less than 0.4 now but my Endo said it's alright as your FT3 and FT4 are within range.

Your doctor saying TSH is the only test needed....he is right in saying this if you were a healthy person. People with thyroid issues should be checked for all three TSH, FT3 and FT4 to ge the full picture.

Ditch your doctor, find another one!

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Re: Dr disappointment

Had my results today and it is as I thought. TSH levels at .65. But my doctor did ask iof i was still feeling ill and thought hard about what the cause might be.
    Due to my now quite painful sore throat (it has been going on for a year) she is sending me to have a throat scan done. By putting a camera down my throat - nice! She said i might have vocal chord nodules. Doesn't explain the heavy periods though. She is getting me to have a smear test to see if that provide some insight - so to speak.
    Still feel lousy though!

Administrator Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

At least she hasn't given up on you NZmegs,

I hope you get the answers you need, and when you get them let us know wontcha!!

Take care

Ric thumbup
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

Baby Moderator Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Posting AwardDiscussion Ender

Country
    UK

I am SO sorry you had this experience, I had a similar one a couple of months ago with a consultant. Sounds almost as though they were following the same 'script' hon.
    He said he was 'conventional' and that those who prescribe anything else but thyroxine were 'experimenters'. What dog doo!

I would give it another go with someone else, however, don't go in with any expectations of help, I have given up on the lot of em.
    Sorry to be so negative but that is how I feel. I was a healthy woman once, never abused my body, consulted the Dr for problems followed advice, now I cannot even stand on my own two feet steadily, what does that say for the NHS? I have Hashis and I am reliant on someone to care for me 24/7, you would think that they could have saved me from getting like this wouldn't you? They just don't want to investigate or try anything, they want you just to accept bad health. Well that is true in my case anyway.

Anyway keep fighting for help my dear.

lotsa luv
    Dawnx
    ''If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.'' The Cheshire Cat, Alice in Wonderland

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Hi
    I am in the same boat to the extent that I have many symptoms and my GP says that as the bloods are ok I am ok. I have been referred to ENT for my sore throat and intermittently husky voice. I have had sigmoidoscopy and now awaiting colonoscopy. I had tests to see if I have an RA factor = no. The parathyroid tests were ok, too Then why do I ache so much, why can't I raise my arms, why can't I wash my back? Why do I have so much pain? Why do I fluctuate madly from being too hot to being freezing cold, at least seven tiomes a day? I can function and I know that there are so many worse, more serious conditions that one can have so I shouldn't complain, but it is all very depressing at times. My GP said that she wouldn't test me for anything else just yet as I have 'enough referrals' going on...
    It is all very frustrating.
    I hope you start to feel better soon. anni

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense