User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbee hypo

Newbee hypo

Hi all,

Just a short hello from a newbee. I was diagnosed hypothyroid and started medication two weeks ago. My TSH was 23 (0.35-5.50) and FT4 was 7.1 (9-23). The plan is to slowly build up to 75 mcg l-thyroxine. The second labtest will be in 8 weeks from now.

I'm doing a lot of reading about the subject. The past two weeks felt like it is getting worse, despite I started with 25 mcg per day. As long as I can lay down all is OK, but sometimes I have to get up and that is difficult. My concentration is very bad.

So I guess I have to be patient now and I'm happy I found this forum. Sorry if I make some language mistakes: I'm not a native English speaker.

Alt.

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

Re: Newbee hypo

Hi Alt,

Don't worry about the english....it's fine

What made you go to the doctor and do the tests because TSH of 23 is quite high. Wonder if it raised over a period of time or immediately due to stress or any other reason.

Your FT4 is very very low and that will make you feel worse. TSH is not important at all, sometimes it's up and down but FT4 and FT3 really count. You really wanna be seeing them towards the upper range like 20 in your case.

I am assuming your starting dose is 25mcg? It's too low to be honest, you could increase it to 50mcg or even 100mcg within a week or so. As it's thyroxine, it's very slow starter and takes up to 4 weeks before you fully feel it's affects (That's why labs being done after 8 weeks).

I am sorry to say that you may feel very unwell during this initial period but once the correct dosage has been identified then you'll be okay provided there are no other attached problems.

What other tests did you doctor perform?

Nice picture of the kitten....is it yours?

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Nice to get in touch so quickly. The picture of the kitten just matches well how it can feel OK to be hypo. I don't have cats, though I love them.

I went to the doctor because I felt like I was using sleeping pills on the day. My coffee input was huge yet I'd sleep a lot. I was assuming I was mourning about a friend who died in december. The doctor agreed but just to be sure sent me to the lab to have some standard tests, among which was TSH. The lab automatically checks FT4 if TSH is high. There where more tests done, but I do not know which and I assume the values where in the normal ranges.

I don't know how long this is going on. The doctor thinks no more than 6 months, because of the T4 level: it is just below the normal range. She thinks that indicates it is not going on for years. I did not find anything like that yet in the documentation; I wonder whether she is right. I'm depressed for more then a year and I quit smoking in september.

I agree my starting dose is very low and it could be higher. However: it is the standard protocol for GP's in Holland: 2 weeks 25 mcg, 2 weeks 50, 6 weeks 75, labtests. For now I'm OK with it, although it means waiting some weeks more. Also I feel too weak to argue with my doctor right now.

Is the FT4 really very low? I thought it was 'a bit low'.

VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdriveSocial25000 Experience Points

Country
    UK
    Blog Entries

What is your age? I still think FT4 is very low as 9 is the start of the range and you are below the range. Now you dont want to be at the start of the range but somewhere like 18 or 20 should be a good number. FT4 doesnt rise very sharply so even small increment is a good sign.

Too much coffee to keep you going will tax your adrenals in longer terms and you'll face even bigger problems. It's better to fix the thyroid issue as soon as possible otherwise adrenal glands kick in as body becomes extremely stress due to low hormones circulation.

I am not familiar with holland protocol but this is sort of standard arrangement everywhere. Trouble is a lot of patients do not know how to do this so they only follow their doctor's regime which most of the time is partially wrong if not totally.

Now I am not suggesting just do what I say, but I am saying do a bit of research, look around, collect the information and go back to your doctor and ask her to raise your medicine. Tell her you understand the standard protocol but due to this thyroidal issues, you want to fix it quickly rather than hanging on.

You must check your FT3 as well in the second test as this will actually tell you that if you have the right amount of active hormone in the blood as T4 is inactive which is converted to T3 when needed.

In some patients T4 is not fully converted to T3 hence even after raising the thyroxine they dont feel well. That's where Armour thyroid comes in which includes a little bit of T3 to help those sort of people.

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Hi
    SiD knows far more about this than me but I agree that 25 mcg is too low. My GP started me on tyhat amount and i slowly climbed by 25mcg to my curent level of 125. I went to see an endocrinologist who said that 25 mcg is a silly amount to start anyone on - she said GPs are frightened of peole having heart attacks so they err on the side of caution - but being underdosed when you are ill initially means your improvement is slow and you suffer in between. Hope you start to feel better soon. Anni

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Country
    UK

Hi, Alt and to the forum. You have received some very good advice above, and it takes a minimum of six weeks for thyroid medication to start showing in the bloods. Sometimes it takes that long before patients begin to feel a little better.

Hypothyroidism is very insidious in its onset, and probably has been coming on for a long time, but
    giving up smoking has been known to trigger the onset = unfortunately to start smoking again does
    not make it go away.

I hope you will soon start to feel better, do you take your tablet first thing in the morning with water,
    and nothing to eat or dfrink for at least half and hour after? This helps to get the utmost absorption from medication. And do not take products containing iron for at least four hours after Thyroxine
    as it binds the hormones.

Veteran5000 Experience Points

Country
    England

Hi alt welcome to the site. as for your english, its probably better than mine lol

Your doing the best thing, by doing research the more you know the more likely you will get better!!

I hope you feel better soon.

Keep us updated

ric thumbup
    I'm not an expert. I'm here to share my Thyroid journey and tell you all my experience of Thyroid disease.
    If you want to chat, please dont hesitate to contact me, I will help where I can!!

http://www.twitter.com/thyroidhelp

• Advertising

advertising
    ThyroidHelp.org
    has no influence
    on advertisings
    that are displayed by
    Google Adsense